Retain formula, display results

Pauline

I am rounding numbers to the nearest half or whole number ---formula: round(2*A1,0)/2 ---, however, I want to type a number in a cell utilize this formula and show the result, yet keep the formula. I want to re-enter a number in same cell to recalculete, in other works, keep formula and display results. How do I say "A1" without saying "A1" in formula?

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
If you put your fomula into B1, you can change A1 as many times as you want and the result(and formula) will be in B1. Or am I not understanding what you want to do?

Upvote 0
I have five columns which all need to be rounded up to half or whole numbers. What I want to do is enter into these cells and have the numbers automatically round up. I also want to retain the formula in these columns so that I can delete the entries and re-enter into the same cells and have the new entries round up (without re-entering formulas). Does this make sense?

Upvote 0
Welllllll, kinda....I think what you're saying is you want to do is enter a formula, then in the EXACT SAME cell...right??...you want to enter a number and have the formula act on that number. If that's the case, I'm afraid that's not possible with excel function alone, you would need some VBA code, like a workbook selection_change event. Let me try a few things and get back, or if I still don't understand, I apologize, but ask you to re-explain once again.

Upvote 0
Retain Formula, display results

YES, that is exactly what I want to do.

If you can help at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
BUMP...I can't come up with anything that will work, maybe some of the experts can help. Sorry Pauline :( , but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself can help you easily.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back