Retreive info in closed workbook on Sharepoint

Samhill62

Board Regular
Hi teamies. I have an interesting problem that I cant seem to find a solution to.

I have two workbooks, lets call them BookA and BookB. BookA is left closed most of the time and is accessed through Sharepoint. BookB is updated several times a day (also accessed through sharepoint). BookB has information entered into it that is automatically picked up by BookA due to VLOOKUP formulas built into it. BookB then needs to reflect the resultant data from BookA in the same worksheet in BookB. As I said, even when closed, BookA picks up the data entered into BookB no problem but the info is not being passed back to BookB.

I have tried the usual VLOOKUP, Index Match, Indirect and also the infamous IndirectEx in my formulas but to no avail.

BookA is a computational worksheet calculating leave, Sick, Training etc and converting the resultant data into available hours. This workbook is very large and is too cumbersome to open each time (7.5mb) across the network. Besides, BookB is one of a set of workbooks (seven in total) representing various work areas that need to update BookA, most times all at the same time (as it is currently doing so flawlessly), another reason that BookA cannot be opened every time.

I did hold out hope that IndirectEx was going to be the solution, maybe I am using it wrong? Upshot is that I am looing for a solution to this problem and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back