Retrieve a variable's value based on another variable result

sramsay

Board Regular
Hi all, I am looking for a way to be able to use a variable name that is stored in a spreadsheet.

Basically, I store column numbers as variable integers. Column header names are looked up and the column number is stored. the columns appear on 3 sheets in different location so will have 3 assigned variables.

I am then looping through textbox controls on a userform. the data for the text box comes from cell values.

I have a translation table in the workbook which states the variable names that will be associated with each text box name. I am looking up the variable name based on the textbox name without issue. But then the result is being stored as a literal string. I can find no way to retrieve the variable's value from this lookup?

Is there an achievable way of doing this?

Code:
Sub test_load_f1()

Dim transRange As Range
Dim transLr As Long
Dim varName As Variant

transLr = Sheets("TranslationTable").Range("A1048576").End(xlUp).row
Set transRange = Sheets("TranslationTable").Range("A2:E" & transLr)

Dim c As MSForms.Control

For Each c In Userform1.fra_ten12mnth.Controls
        If TypeOf c Is MSForms.TextBox Then
            [U]varName[/U] = Application.VLookup(Replace(c.Name, "tb_ten12", ""), transRange, 2, False)
            c.value = Sheets("Commited Data").Cells(Sheets("Commited Data").Range("A:A").Find(What:=vTenId & "12" & vTenSupplier & vTenMeterNumber, LookAt:=xlWhole).row, [U]varName[/U]).value
        ElseIf TypeOf c Is MSForms.CheckBox Then
            '...
        Else

End If
    Next c

End Sub

as an example, varName would return "cComUniteRate1"
the variable cComUniteRate1 will return the number 10

When I refer to varName in the c.value (Setting the value of the textbox) I need varName to be 10.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi,
you should be able to coerce your variable using the Val Function. Val returns the number contained in your variable as a string to a numeric value of appropriate type.

Rich (BB code):
c.Value = Sheets("Commited Data").Cells(Sheets("Commited Data").Range("A:A").Find(What:=vTenId & "12" & vTenSupplier & vTenMeterNumber, LookAt:=xlWhole).Row, Val(varName)).Value

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi, Thanks, but this won't work. The VBA is seeing varName literally as 'cComUnitRate1' and not the value that cComUnitRate1 holds

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back