Retrieve MS Project data into Excel?

David.K.Dickson

I have an Excel spreadsheet where I am monitoring various tasks in a project, including start and end dates. I have just been given access to MS Project and the Project Plan for the project. I want to use the MS Project data in my spreadsheet, but I don't want to use a straight copy and paste.

What I would like to be able to do is something like VLOOKUP() or INDEX(), where I could pass the Task ID as an argument and get back data such as the Taks Name, Duration, Start or End.

Does anybody know of a way of doing this? :oops:

Thanks in anticipation.

David.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I think you'll find that the most efficient way is to push the data from Project.

In Project, File | Save As... brings up a range of options. Among these are various export formats for Excel. Try them all -- you'll find that some of them allow you to do some field mapping as well. Once you have found the one that best does the job for you, try recording a macro in Project to create and save the data. This will allow you to push the latest Project data out to a predefined workbook.

Now, link to this workbook (or use VLOOKUP) to pull in the data you require. A refresh would involve opening Project and running the Export macro (or whatever you called it when you created it).

Denis

Upvote 0
Denis,

Thanks for the quick reply. It sounds as though that will work nicely. I had hoped to be able to retrieve the data dynamically straight from Project, but if I can extract to another Excel spreadsheet, I can still retrieve dynamically, but from Excel instead of Project.

Nice one!

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

David.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back