Retrieve table data from a SharePoint Excel workbook into another SharePoint Excel workbook

CapRavOr

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
  3. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

The issue: At my company, we utilize SharePoint co-authored Excel workbooks to retrieve, store, and manipulate data. Aside from that being problematic in and of itself, users want to see populated data in one workbook based on data from another workbook. Essentially, a formula looks like this when the source workbook is 'Open',

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(XLOOKUP([@[Batch Number]],'Data Here.xlsx'!data_table[Batch Number],'Data Here.xlsx'!data_table[Important Date]),"").

When the source workbook is 'Closed', formulas look like this,

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(XLOOKUP([@[Batch Number]],'https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/Production/Shared Documents/Data Documents/Data Here.xlsx'!data_table[Batch Number],'https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/Production/Shared Documents/Data Documents/Data Here.xlsx'!scorecard_data_ff[Important Date]),"")

So, when the source workbook is closed, any data using the link/reference,

Excel Formula:
https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/Production/Shared Documents/Data Documents/Data Here.xlsx'!data_table[Column]

Comes up as a #REF error. Which makes sense and doesn't. And when I go to Data -> Edit Links, I can't find a way to make the data available while the source document is closed. Is this even possible? Is there a better way to get data from an Excel workbook housed in SharePoint so that it can be used while the workbook is closed that I'm not seeing? Many people use the data source spreadsheet and update it daily. Executives are the ones trying to evaluate all of the data. I am working on a Data Model that can be utilized by the whole company as well as trying to convert a lot of these spreadsheets to Power BI. So there's a horizon.

Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks in Advance!!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back