Retrieving data from api

mike4777

Board Regular
I was wondering if someone could help me retrieve data from an api from http://www.coinapi.io

Does this require VBA? If not, will VBA cause data retrieval to be less sluggish?

I have tried looking online for the answer, but keeping running across complicated vba explanations.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

John_w

MrExcel MVP
Yes, this requires VBA, using their REST API. There should be examples of similar API calls on this forum - search for XMLhttp GET POST JSON. You'll also need a VBA JSON parser/converter.

mike4777

Board Regular
Yes, this requires VBA, using their REST API. There should be examples of similar API calls on this forum - search for XMLhttp GET POST JSON. You'll also need a VBA JSON parser/converter.

Thanks for your reply.

What do you suppose they mean with the other two options? I'm guessing it is for websites and such. I'm trying to pull price data from a particular cryptocurrency at a particular minute whenever I type a new trade into excel. I'm wanting to pull the data into a sheet and then index/match it into place.

APICommunicationDescription
RESTfulRequest-responseStateless API providing the widest range of data, not capable of streaming, only pooling.
WebSocketPublish-subscribeStateful API providing streaming of realtime market data.
FIXPublish-subscribeStateful API providing streaming of realtime market data, widely adopted by the finance industry.

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

John_w

MrExcel MVP
The other two options provide realtime streaming for applications. You subscribe to specific data element(s) (currencies, etc.) and it sends updates as they occur.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gabrielrms

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...