Return a Blank if Error OR 0

The_T

Hi guys,

Wondering if anybody a help with the following:

I am currently using the following formula to return blanks when an error results from 'E25' being blank:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(E25,'WORKSHEET'!$A$1:$S$1000,19,FALSE,"")

However, when E25 is not blank but row '19' in '$A$1:$S$1000' has no results, the formula returns a '0'.

In the case of there being no result to return, I'd like there also to be a blank (and for there to only not be a blank when there is a result to return - 'YES or 'NO' being the only 2 returnable options in this case).

I have tried OR and AND formulae but with no success.

I'm tired so maybe I have missed something.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
How about
=IF(VLOOKUP(E25,WORKSHEET!$A$1:$S$1000,19,FALSE)=0,"",IFERROR(VLOOKUP(E25,WORKSHEET!$A$1:$S$1000,19,FALSE),""))

steve the fish

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi Fluff. That would error before the iferror ever had its chance. Maybe wrap the if rather than the vlookup.

=IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(E25,WORKSHEET!$A$1:$S$1000,19,FALSE)=0,"",VLOOKUP(E25,WORKSHEET!$A$1:$S$1000,19,FALSE)),"")

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Excellent point, I obviously wasn't thinking clearly :banghead:

steve the fish

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I forget to think all the time :)

You could also do this if the lookup is producing text results:

=IFERROR(""&VLOOKUP(E25,WORKSHEET!$A$1:$S$1000,19,FALSE),"")

The_T

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the replies.

Will give both options a go and get back to you!

Fluff

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Don't bother trying my suggestion from post#2, as Steve pointed out it won't always work.

The_T

Thanks for your help guys.

Steve the Fish - Your solution works perfectly. You are clearly either a genius or some sort of divine entity.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farlow

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• Problem with Radio Button's format control
    I am creating an employee evaluation template (a sample is below) Column A is the category Column B, C D, E and F will be ratings (unacceptable...
  • Last Display on userform to a Listbox
    [CODE=vba] lstdisplay.ColumnCount = 15 lstdisplay.RowSource = "A1:O600000" [/CODE] So when i do this it Displays everything on the sheet i am...
  • Rename and move files to a new location
    Dear all, I have an excel file with the following information. The actual file name is at column A but i want to rename it using the following...
  • Help with True/False Formula
    Hello! Am stumped how to fix this formula, in which my result returns 'True', but it should return False. =IF(AG2=True...
  • Clear extra characters from a provided range of cells
    Dear All, I have following code which gives me desired output to remove extra characters from a provided range. But it takes too much time when...
  • Help with Current and highest streaks
    Hi there, I've just joined the forum and this is my first post. I've already spent quite a bit of time searching the net and this forum for a...