Return date on Friday

mrsamjones

I need to return a date after 30 days and if it is weekend then return Friday. It is okay if the Friday date is less than 30 days because I can be before a deadline but not after.

I have this formula but it still returns Sunday.
=if(text(A1+30,"D")="7",A1+28,if(text(A1+30,"D")="6",A1+29,A1+30))

For example, My date was 11/1/19 (A1). It returns 12/1/19 which is a Sunday. I need this date to be 11/29/19

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I suppose something like this would work:

=TEXT(IF(TEXT(A1+30,"ddd")="Sun",A1+28,IF(TEXT(A1+30,"ddd")="Sat",A1+29,A1+30)),"mm/dd/yy")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to the forum!

You can also try:

=WORKDAY(A1+31,-1)

Upvote 0
This is closer but it is putting every due date on a Friday. I only need those dates that return on a Saturday or Sunday to roll back to Friday. Thanks! I am self-teaching myself excel. I just started last week!

Upvote 0
I have tried this function but it will still return a Sunday and Saturday date. It is lie the workday is not recognizing that it the returned date is a weekend!

Upvote 0
Hi, it works for me for your example date, do you have a specific example date where it fails?

Excel 2013/2016
AB
111/01/201911/29/2019
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1=WORKDAY(A1+31,-1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is closer but it is putting every due date on a Friday. I only need those dates that return on a Saturday or Sunday to roll back to Friday. Thanks! I am self-teaching myself excel. I just started last week!

Is this my formula or FormR's?

Mine will return Friday ONLY if 30days time is friday, saturday or sunday, otherwise it will return mon-thurs (whichever day +30 lands on)

I also tried FormR's formula and it works fine for me.

EDIT: You can check the day of a date with =TEXT(A1,"ddd")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FormR's is what I normally use, however you may wish to use the WORKDAY.INTL function instead.
Code:
=WORKDAY.INTL(A1+31,-1,1)

Both can also add a list of Holidays to exclude, though you may have a different consideration if you do, Day after Holiday?

Upvote 0
Is this my formula or FormR's?

Mine will return Friday ONLY if 30days time is friday, saturday or sunday, otherwise it will return mon-thurs (whichever day +30 lands on)

I also tried FormR's formula and it works fine for me.

EDIT: You can check the day of a date with =TEXT(A1,"ddd")

I think I figured it out SpillerBD. I started with the date today, 6/4/19, it returned correctly for 07/04/19, 08/02/19, and 08/30/19. After 8/30/19, it is returning a Friday date because, 30 days after that is another weekend date. Sorry guys! Like I said, still learning! Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back