Return hyperlink value

micko1

Board Regular
I have a workbook that has names in column "A" each one of these names has a sheet with all of their information on it. This name is hyperlinked to an email address on their page. I have emails that are auto generated and pull up the name in column "A" as the email address. Can I get the macro to return the hyperlink value not the cell value. Below is the line of code that gets the name.
Thanks in anticipation.

Mick

EmailSendTo = rngCell.Offset(0, 0).Value

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Here's a sub with the syntax to get hyperlink value that you can modify for your needs. I put a hyperlink in A1 and the link is returned in A5. I just put my email address in and then changed the display value in A1. A5 returned "mailto:email@nowhere.com".

Code:
Sub link()
    [a5].Value = [a1].Hyperlinks(1).Address
End Sub

Upvote 0
May have been a little bit premature. Yes the code pulls the hyperlink information but when an email hyperlink is created in Excel it places "MailTo:" in front of the email address. Is there a way to stop this from happening. Sorry about being a nuisance and thanks for you help so far.

Mick

Upvote 0
Code:
Sub link()
    [a5].Value = Replace([a1].Hyperlinks(1).Address, "mailto:", "")
End Sub

Upvote 0
Back again, tried heaps of different things but can't seem to get it this time.

[Original Code]
EmailSendTo = rngCell.Offset(0, 0).Value

[Changed to this]
EmailSendTo = rngCell.Offset(0, 0).Hyperlinks(1).Address
This worked but returned "MailTo:asfaf@test.com"

[This is one of my atempts]
EmailSendTo = rngCell.Offset(0, 0) = Replace([rngCell].Hyperlinks(1).Address, "mailto:", "")
This returns "FALSE" in the email address cell.

???????
Wish I knew what I was doing.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Mick

Upvote 0
EmailSendTo = rngCell.Offset(0, 0) = Replace([rngCell].Hyperlinks(1).Address, "mailto:", "")

You basically set an evaluation because you entered multiple equal signs. For example, if you go into a normal excel sheet and type =5=6 it tests if one value equales the other. 5 doesn't equal 6 so therefore the cell value is false. Same with your code. The string does not equal the stripped string.

Try this.

EmailSendTo = Replace(rngCell.Hyperlinks(1).Address, "mailto:", "")

Also, if you're offsetting the cell by 0 and 0, you aren't really offsetting it so I cant see why you'd need that.

Upvote 0
Thanks again for your help. Last code works.
Still trying to get my head around how things work. Thanks also for the tip re offset. Realy appreciate your assistance.

Mick

Upvote 0
I hear you. Part of the reason I do this is to help others because I know the frustration of learning and getting stuck, but it also helps me become more familiar with the coding and in my own trial and errors I pick things up.

If someone smarter beats me to the punch, I can see what they did and learn from that too. :)

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back