Return Item with Multiple Search Criteria

cmenconi

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello-

I have an excel workbook with two tabs. One data set including transactions with relevant data columns: Account Number & Amount. The second tab has a comprehensive export of data that I am trying to match with the first tab of data. The relevant data columns are included as well as a date in which the transaction was processed. I am trying to use a formula to return the transaction date on tab 1 if the formula find a match with the account number and the amount. The account number will have multiple matches since many items are posted to each account, however with the additional parameter of dollar amount it should narrow it down to one result. From that one result I would like the date from tab 2 to be returned on tab 1, this will be a data validation point for me to verify if the transaction was processed. One the data source tab I have named the data area for the various fileds: the entire table of data is "transaction_data", the amount is named "data_amount" which should match with tab one amount, account number is named "data_account" which will match with the account number on the given row but will have multiple matches in the source data, transaction date is named "data_date" which is the specific date I am trying to return in my data set in a new column that I created. Thanks!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
you could use

index( column to return date , match ( account cell & amount cell, rangeAccount&rangeAmount,0))

a simple example

Note if there are 2 values - it will only return the 1st found

But with excel version 365 - they maybe a way to do it with SORT/FILTER

Book1
ABCDEFG
1accountAmountlookpdateDateAccountAmount
2110.781/6/221/1/22110.13
3310.521/4/221/2/22110.26
4411.29#N/A1/3/22210.52
5210.521/3/221/4/22310.52
6#N/A1/5/22110.65
71/6/22110.78
81/7/22210.91
91/8/22111.04
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:C6C2=INDEX($E$2:$E$9,MATCH(A2&B2,$F$2:$F$9&$G$2:$G$9,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back