Return multiple values with multiple criteria and array formula

mtinode

I have this formula and it works great. But now I find that I need a 2nd criteria to keep from getting duplicate rows. I need for 'Raw NimSoft'!F:F="*Client" in addition to the 'Raw NimSoft'!D:D="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB" already in the formula.

Here is my working formula. It simply returns everything in column H (the 7th column in my index) where that text appears in column D. If you need the data I can provide it, but it's just text. I'm only concerned with columns D, F and H.

=LEFT(IF(ISERROR(INDEX('Raw NimSoft'!$B$1:$H$2800,SMALL(IF('Raw NimSoft'!D:D="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB",ROW('Raw NimSoft'!D:D)),ROW(2:2)),7)),"",INDEX('Raw NimSoft'!$B$1:$H$2800,SMALL(IF('Raw NimSoft'!D:D="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB",ROW('Raw NimSoft'!D:D)),ROW(2:2)),7)),LEN(IF(ISERROR(INDEX('Raw NimSoft'!$B$1:$H$2800,SMALL(IF('Raw NimSoft'!D:D="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB",ROW('Raw NimSoft'!D:D)),ROW(2:2)),7)),"",INDEX('Raw NimSoft'!$B$1:$H$2800,SMALL(IF('Raw NimSoft'!D:D="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB",ROW('Raw NimSoft'!D:D)),ROW(2:2)),7)))-9)

Entered with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER as an array formula.

Thanks for any help with this.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Looks to me like a highly inefficient formula returning the value from column H (less 9 right most characters) from the row housing the 2nd occurrence of QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB in column D.

What Excel version are you using?

The additional criterium means you are looking for "Client" in the 6 right most characters in column F?

For a more efficient solution: is it correct that there are no gaps in column B of 'Raw Nimsoft', e.g. if there are 2000 values it means these are in row 1:2000?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My Excel version is 2010. No gaps in column B, that is correct. And yes the string in Column F that I need ends in "Client". But it should be pulling every row where QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB, but I see I posted from the 2nd row of my table instead of the first. Here is that cell from the first row:

=LEFT(IF(ISERROR(INDEX('Raw NimSoft'!$B$1:$H$2800,SMALL(IF('Raw NimSoft'!D:D="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB",ROW('Raw NimSoft'!D:D)),ROW(1:1)),7)),"",INDEX('Raw NimSoft'!$B$1:$H$2800,SMALL(IF('Raw NimSoft'!D:D="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB",ROW('Raw NimSoft'!D:D)),ROW(1:1)),7)),LEN(IF(ISERROR(INDEX('Raw NimSoft'!$B$1:$H$2800,SMALL(IF('Raw NimSoft'!D:D="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB",ROW('Raw NimSoft'!D:D)),ROW(1:1)),7)),"",INDEX('Raw NimSoft'!$B$1:$H$2800,SMALL(IF('Raw NimSoft'!D:D="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB",ROW('Raw NimSoft'!D:D)),ROW(1:1)),7)))-9)

I suspect I need to use Match(), but have no idea how that affects the rest of the formula I was able to steal and modify to get to this point.

Upvote 0
On tab Formulas, Name Manager, define names:
Code:
[B]DataD[/B]: ='Raw Nimsoft'!$D$1:INDEX('Raw Nimsoft'!$D:$D,COUNTA('Raw Nimsoft'!$B:$B))
[B]DataF[/B]: ='Raw Nimsoft'!$F$1:INDEX('Raw Nimsoft'!$F:$F,COUNTA('Raw Nimsoft'!$B:$B))
[B]DataH[/B]: ='Raw Nimsoft'!$H$1:INDEX('Raw Nimsoft'!$H:$H,COUNTA('Raw Nimsoft'!$B:$B))

Suppose your formula resides in C1 and down, array formula, confirm with Ctrl+Shift+Enter and copy down
Code:
=IFERROR(LEFT(INDEX(DataH,SMALL(IF(DataD="QOS_VMWARE_DATASTORE_CAPACITY_GB",IF(RIGHT(DataF,6)="Client",ROW(DataH))),ROWS(C$1:C1))),LEN(DataH)-9),"")

First this formula is much more efficient and second it can be copied down.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back