Return Nth instance of text string

Partjob

Board Regular
I have the following formula that returns the most frequently occuring string in a range. what I would like to do is return the 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th most common occourance as well. I am not sure if I can do this by adjusting this formula or whether that would be a completely diffent formula or worst case senario it is not possible at all.

=INDEX(B2:B1537,MATCH(MAX(COUNTIF(B2:B1537,B2:B1537)),COUNTIF(B2:B1537,B2:B1537),0))

obviously this is an array.

Partjob

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Much more complex I think.

This solution uses a helper column.

In C2 enter

=IF(COUNTIF(B2:$B$1537,B2)=1,COUNTIF($B$2:$B$1537,B2)+ROW()/100000,"")

and copy down to C1537

Then in D2, enter this array formula

=IF(ISERROR(LARGE($C$2:$C$1537,ROW(A1))),"",INDEX($B$2:$B$1537,MIN(IF($C$2:$C$1537=LARGE($C$2:$C$1537,ROW(A1)),ROW($C$2:$C$1537)))-ROW($C$2:$C$1537)+1))

and copy down until you get blanks

Upvote 0
Given values in A1:A15 this is an alternative 'all in 1':

=INDEX($A$1:$A$15,MATCH(TRUE,COUNTIF($A$1:$A$15,$A$1:$A$15)=LARGE(FREQUENCY(MATCH($A$1:$A$15,$A$1:$A$15,0),MATCH($A$1:$A$15,$A$1:$A$15,0)),2),0))

Confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Change the red 2 to whatever position you want ie 2nd most common, 3rd etc ect

Upvote 0
Andrew
I now have the folowing formula but it is not changing the result when I change the k value.
Formula looks like this now I feel I should get the second highest occurence.
=INDEX(B2:B1537,MATCH(LARGE(COUNTIF(B2:B1537,B2:B1537),2),COUNTIF(B2:B1537,B2:B1537),0))

Thanks for taking the time to help me

Partjob

Upvote 0
Andrew
I now have the folowing formula but it is not changing the result when I change the k value.
Formula looks like this now I feel I should get the second highest occurence.
=INDEX(B2:B1537,MATCH(LARGE(COUNTIF(B2:B1537,B2:B1537),2),COUNTIF(B2:B1537,B2:B1537),0))

Thanks for taking the time to help me

Partjob

Isn't it just finding the secind instance of the highest occurring?

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your help.
For the record xld's solution worked for me.
andrew's didn't give me the required result for the reason stated in the thread.
Richard's returned N/A not really sure why?
It would be nice if it was all in one formula but what I have works so what more can I ask.
Thanks again
Partjob

Upvote 0
You have to confirm with Ctrl+Shift+Enter (as it is an array formula). Your ranges will obviously need to be different to mine too.

Upvote 0
Partjob

Could you use a PivotTable?

One of the options in a PivotTable is to Sort. Here (columns D:E) is a small one, sorted descending on the 'Total' field.

If you are only interested in the top several values (maybe 5 in your case), you can also have the table be restricted to the top x values. Columns G:H shows a PivotTable, still sorted descending on the 'Total' field, but also restricted to the top 2 values.

If the source data is changed and the PivotTable refreshed, the table gets re-sorted and/or re-restricted to the top x values.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
1HeadingCount of HeadingCount of Heading
2aHeadingTotalHeadingTotal
3aa7a7
4ac5c5
5ab4Grand Total12
6aGrand Total16
7a
8b
9c
10c
11c
12b
13b
14b
15c
16a
17c
PivotTable

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back