Return row number of blank row

straubj

I have a set of spreadsheets and each one has a blank line somewhere in the middle area. I need a formula that I can place at the bottom of each spreadsheet that returns the row number of the blank row. Alternatively, finding one blank cell and returning its row number would work as well if there is a way to do that. All help is very appreciated!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Assuming for your alternate that Column A is the column that is filled with data except for the blank cell you want to find. Let's say the last data cell in Column A is located at Row 20, then use this formula to find the row number with the blank cell...

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20="")*ROW(A1:A20))

Upvote 0
Found a solution

=SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$1080="",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($A$1:$A$1080))),""),ROW(1:1))

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have a set of spreadsheets and each one has a blank line somewhere in the middle area. I need a formula that I can place at the bottom of each spreadsheet that returns the row number of the blank row. Alternatively, finding one blank cell and returning its row number would work as well if there is a way to do that. All help is very appreciated!

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MATCH(TRUE,ISBLANK(A2:A100),0)+ROW(A2)-1

=MATCH(TRUE,A2:A100="",0)

Native row numbers:

Control+shift+enter, not just enter...

=MATCH(TRUE,ISBLANK(A2:A100),0)+ROW(A2)-1

=MATCH(TRUE,A2:A100="",0)+ROW(A2)-1

Upvote 0
Found a solution

=SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$1080="",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($A$1:$A$1080))),""),ROW(1:1))
SMALL? You needed to use the SMALL function? Why, because you have more than one blank row? Does that mean you misled us? Everything about your first post said you only had a single blank row. Here is what you said (I highlighted the relevant parts)...
I have a set of spreadsheets and each one has a blank line somewhere in the middle area. I need a formula that I can place at the bottom of each spreadsheet that returns the row number of the blank row. Alternatively, finding one blank cell and returning its row number would workas well if there is a way to do that. All help is very appreciated!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
everything I said is true. there is only one blank line. My friend helped me with that formula. To be honest, I have no idea why it works, but it does.

Upvote 0
everything I said is true. there is only one blank line. My friend helped me with that formula. To be honest, I have no idea why it works, but it does.
Okay, let me ask then... did you try any of the shorter, non-volatile formulas that have been offered to you in this thread in response to the question you asked here?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
almerpogi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back