Return specific text based on multiple cells

jedilefty

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble with a formula. I'm trying to display a certain text based on the values of 4 other cells. Example: based on the text in cells A1 - D1 (which is just a yes or no), I want auto text populated in E1.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 57

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
What is the logic for the formula you want created?
What are the conditions that it should show a "Y"?
Is it only when all four cells are also "Y"?

If so, you can use:
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(A2:D2,"Y")=4,"Y","N")

Upvote 0
If with an N the result is N, it can be:

Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(A2:D2,"N"),"N","Y")

Upvote 0
If with an N the result is N, it can be:

Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(A2:D2,"N"),"N","Y")
The only caveat there, is if there is potential for it to be be blank (neither an "N" or a "Y" for an entry).
If it requires 4 "Y"s to be a "Y", then that wouldn't work.

But we do not know the exact possibilities and requirements, so your guess is as good as mine!

Upvote 0
What is the logic for the formula you want created?
What are the conditions that it should show a "Y"?
Is it only when all four cells are also "Y"?

If so, you can use:
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(A2:D2,"Y")=4,"Y","N")

Joe4 I appreciate your help on this. I'm actually using this to determine if a shipping package is completed for orders. I used the formula you provided and it works great. I do have another question though. How would i modify this formula to incorporate another column that isn't necessarily required for each package. So I have columns A:D that are always needed to complete the package, however I added column E for additional testing that some orders require. So i would like column F to show the output "create shipper" or "not complete" based on columns A:E with "Y" and column E with either "Y' or "N/A"

If i didn't explain well enough i can provide a picture of what i'm trying to accomplish.

Upvote 0
If i didn't explain well enough i can provide a picture of what i'm trying to accomplish.
Yes, please provide a picture of all the different combinations and expected outputs for each one.

Upvote 0
Yes, please provide a picture of all the different combinations and expected outputs for each one.

So the input in columns E:I will determine the output in column A. Column E:H is only "Y" or "N" while column I can have either "Y", "N" or "#N/A. I would like the output in column A to display "Not Complete" if any cell between column E:H has a "N" and column I has a "N" or "#N/A"
It should display "Create Shipper" if column E:H all have "Y" and column I either "Y" or "#N/A"

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
Is the value in column I the literal text value "#N/A", or is it the error code #N/A (it makes a BIG difference!).

If you aren't sure, find some cell that has that value in it. Let's say it is I50. Enter this formula in any cell and see what it returns:
=ISNA(I50)
If that returns TRUE, then you are dealing with the erorr code and not a literal text value.

If it is a literal text value, this formula should work (example is for row 45):
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(COUNTIF(E45:H45,"Y")=4,OR(I45="Y",I45="#N/A")),"Create Shipper","Not complete")

If it is an error code, the formula will end up being a bit more complex.

Upvote 0
Solution
Is the value in column I the literal text value "#N/A", or is it the error code #N/A (it makes a BIG difference!).

If you aren't sure, find some cell that has that value in it. Let's say it is I50. Enter this formula in any cell and see what it returns:
=ISNA(I50)
If that returns TRUE, then you are dealing with the erorr code and not a literal text value.

If it is a literal text value, this formula should work (example is for row 45):
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(COUNTIF(E45:H45,"Y")=4,OR(I45="Y",I45="#N/A")),"Create Shipper","Not complete")

If it is an error code, the formula will end up being a bit more complex.

Sorry I forgot to mention all inputs in columns E:I are literal text values. So the formula provided works perfectly. I appreciate the help!!

Upvote 0
Sorry I forgot to mention all inputs in columns E:I are literal text values. So the formula provided works perfectly. I appreciate the help!!
Excellent!
You are welcome.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back