Return Value in column if two columns Contains Specific Text if specific text not found then whatever text is in cell copied into a different column

Aggie04

Hi everyone,

I am working on a project to clean up an excel spreadsheet. I have two columns H & I, that have doctor specialties. I need to run a search in these two columns and find the specific text "Internal medicine" if this value is found, I need to copy that text into Column J. If any other text is found in columns H&I, that text needs to go into column K.

This is what I have so far:

Sub copyif()
Dim SrchRng As Range, cel As Range Set SrchRng = Range("h2:i2") For Each cel In SrchRng If Range("H2").Value = "Internal Medicine" And Range("I2").Value = "Internal Medicine" Then

End Sub

I don't know if I am starting this code correctly and can't figure out the code's copy portion.

I was using: =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH function but I need to find text in two columns and return the value "Internal Medicine" into Column j if that specific text is found and if any other text is found in Columns H&I then that text needs to be copied into column K. I am guessing VBA code is the only way to accomplish this task.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Will "Internal Medicine" be the only contents of the cell, or will there be other text with it?
Also does it have to be in both H & I or just one of them?
One other thing if the text is not found do cols H & I have to be concatenated into K, or will only one of the columns have data?

Upvote 0
Will "Internal Medicine" be the only contents of the cell, or will there be other text with it?
Also does it have to be in both H & I or just one of them?
One other thing if the text is not found do cols H & I have to be concatenated into K, or will only one of the columns have data?
Columns H& I have all sorts of specialties sometimes internal medicine is attached with other specialties but if the term Internal Medicine is in either or of these two columns I need the text Internal medicine to show up in J.

any text that is not internal medicine would just go in column K.

Upvote 0
Does col K need to concatenate the text from H & I?

Upvote 0
Ok, how about in J2
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Internal medicine",H2&I2)),"Internal Medicine","")
and K2
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(H2&" " & I2),"internal medicine","")

Upvote 0
Ok, how about in J2
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Internal medicine",H2&I2)),"Internal Medicine","")
and K2
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(H2&" " & I2),"internal medicine","")
This was perfect! Thank you so much!!! I really do appreciate the help. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back