Return Values from Adjacent Cells

Rob #4

Board Regular
I am trying to figure out if there is a way I can return a value from an adjacent cell based on a selection. This is an example of what I am trying to do:

I have a worksheet label "1" in which is need to calculate billing amounts for items which need to be selected from a list. Then I have another worksheet label "LE Rates", which I have a list of items in Column A and a cost per each item in Column B. So I would like to be able to enter this formula in cell C21 in worksheet "1" =A1, and then in cell F21 I would need a formula that based on the selection that is chosen in cell C21, it would return the corresponding value, so in this instance it would return the value in cell B1 from worksheet "LE Rates". If I were to choose =A15 in cell C21, it would return the value in cell F21 as whatever the value is in B15, and so on.

Any help?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
If you enter =A1 in sheet "1" cell C21 as soon as you hit return it will display the value of cell A1 of worksheet "1".
You need to type 'A1 in C21 (note the apostrophe).

Once you've entered 'A1 in C21 use this formula

in Sheet1!F21
=INDIRECT("'LE Rates'!"&C21)

Why not just enter the description of the item in C21 ?
Then you can use

in Sheet1!F21
=VLOOKUP(C21,'LE Rates'!A$1:B$1000,2,0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am trying to make it so someone can just go select and item in column A in worksheet LE Rates, and avoid typing in descriptions, since there will be a lot of them. Would creating a dropdown list in cell C21 from the list in Column A, work?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back