Returning a Cell Address of a Result found via INDEX(MATCH

Erick Storm

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an INDEX(MATCH formula that goes to another tab of data, finds the result of the intersection between the row and column criteria and returns the number.

For audit purposes, I have been trying to create a formula next to this cell that provides the cell reference of where the number was located, as kind of audit trail for the external auditors to point them to exactly where the number came from.

Here is the INDEX(MATCH formula in Cell C6 that returns the result:
=INDEX('Sch B-3'!A8:W183,MATCH("Some Business Segment Total",'Sch B-3'!A8:A183,0),MATCH("Total Adjusted Revenue",'Sch B-3'!A8:W8,0))

This formula returns the correct value and now I would like to write a formula that returns the cell address of the number it found. Based on what I found in the knowledge bases, I used a CELL("address",INDEX(MATCH, but it is returning a #REF! error:
=CELL("address",INDEX('Sch B-3'!F9:F195,1,MATCH('CHO Sch B-1'!C10,'Sch B-3'!F9:F195,0)))

The data will always be within this one column, Column F, so I only indexed and matched to that column. 'CHO Sch B-1'!C10 is where the INDEX(MATCH formula is written and returns the value. I want to use the retuned value to find the cell address on the other tab.

I was thinking that since the actual lookup cell is a formula that returns a number (instead of being anumber) that maybe I needed to use the VALUE function but this did not work either:
=CELL("address",INDEX('Sch B-3'!F9:F195,1,MATCH(VALUE('CHO Sch B-1'!C6),'Sch B-3'!F9:F195,0)))

1603382611452.png
1603382611452.png

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
You can just use your original formulae
Excel Formula:
=CELL("address",INDEX('Sch B-3'!A8:W183,MATCH("Some Business Segment Total",'Sch B-3'!A8:A183,0),MATCH("Total Adjusted Revenue",'Sch B-3'!A8:W8,0)))

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
You can just use your original formulae
Excel Formula:
=CELL("address",INDEX('Sch B-3'!A8:W183,MATCH("Some Business Segment Total",'Sch B-3'!A8:A183,0),MATCH("Total Adjusted Revenue",'Sch B-3'!A8:W8,0)))
Thank you Fluff. I should have mentioned that was the first thing I tried and it returned the file name instead of the cell reference.
1603386791716.png

Upvote 0
The cell reference is at the end of the string. ;)

Upvote 0
If you only want the cell address, you can use
Excel Formula:
=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(CELL("address",INDEX('Sch B-3'!A1:W183,MATCH("Some Business Segment Total",'Sch B-3'!A1:A183,0),MATCH("Total Adjusted Revenue",'Sch B-3'!A8:W8,0))),"$",REPT(" ",100),1),100))

Upvote 0
Solution
If you only want the cell address, you can use
Excel Formula:
=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(CELL("address",INDEX('Sch B-3'!A1:W183,MATCH("Some Business Segment Total",'Sch B-3'!A1:A183,0),MATCH("Total Adjusted Revenue",'Sch B-3'!A8:W8,0))),"$",REPT(" ",100),1),100))
Fluff, I can't thank you enough. That did the trick!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back