Returning a value when corresponding text typed in cell

kala

Board Regular
I hope this makes sense. Let's say that for example, A=.521, B=.675, BC=.7, CA=.925 and "A,B,BC,CA" refer to pencil styles and the numbers refer to lead sizes (all under one column titled "Styles"). There will be 3 corresponding rows with pencil brands. It will look something like this:

Styles...(plus other columns)
Mead
HB
Pentel

There is only one choice for each brand
The reason for wanting to type the letter/text instead of the value is because the given information will be the pen style, not the lead sizes, so it will make it easier to just remember the pencil style versus a string of numbers. Also, this cell will link to other columns with formulas that will figure out "sales dollars, volume, etc" based on the pen style.

Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Hi - welcome to the board!

check out the vlookup() function in the help file, search this board for example - should give you what you need. Post back if you need further info / guidance.

paddy

Upvote 0
Wow, you respond really fast! I finally figured it out from postings on the same topic.

If you don't mind, I did have a question on DATA/VALIDATION. Is it possible to have one of the text in the "Source" box be a blank (if so, what is the code/name/whatever you call it).

By the way, I just want to mention that this is a REALLY great site. Thanks for keeping it running!

Upvote 0
On 2002-11-08 01:50, kala wrote:
Wow, you respond really fast! I finally figured it out from postings on the same topic.

If you don't mind, I did have a question on DATA/VALIDATION. Is it possible to have one of the text in the "Source" box be a blank (if so, what is the code/name/whatever you call it).

By the way, I just want to mention that this is a REALLY great site. Thanks for keeping it running!

If you used a named range, say Items, as source, include an empty cell in the range Items refers to.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back