Returning back a cell value

Kaveh

Hi,
I have this problem for a while.
I want to return back the value of specific cell by the help of 2 other cells. For example:
I have 5 in cell B5,
and I have b in cell c5 and 5 in cell d5.
Now I wonder how can I put the value of cell b5 in cell E5 by adding, joining the cells C5 and D5.
I want the value of B5 in E5 by the help of 2 cells namely C5 and D5. I couldn't find my way out. Thanks in advance for the solution.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

You can use this formula, but be aware that INDIRECT is a volatile function so can slow your sheet if used a lot.

=INDIRECT(C5&D5)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the fast reply.
Your given solution worked and was exactly the same thing I was looking for.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

You can use this formula, but be aware that INDIRECT is a volatile function so can slow your sheet if used a lot.

=INDIRECT(C5&D5)
If the column is always Column Z or less, then this non-volatile formula could be used...

=INDEX($A$1:D5,D5,CODE(UPPER(C5))-64)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the column is always Column Z or less, then this non-volatile formula could be used...

=INDEX($A$1:D5,D5,CODE(UPPER(C5))-64)
I'm not sure how the OP is intending to use the formula but I would say this INDEX alternative is very problematic.
- Even with the restriction to column Z your formula would have to INDEX A:Z, not A1:D5. That would give the formula over 26 million dependant cells so it may not be much less volatile at all.
- The two formulas don't do the same job. Generally cell references are used like that so that the formula points to the same address all the time. With the setup as per the example given, if a new column A is inserted, my formula will still point to (the new) B5 whereas yours will now be pointing to C5, even though the reference cells will still be indicating B5. So, generally any insertion/deletion of columns or rows could likely mean that the INDEX formula is not returning the value from the cell indicated by the two reference cells.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back