Returning cost?

Lebene

Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

Perhaps not drinking water is affecting me or this is just a formula I've not learned yet!

I'm trying to begin my journey into learning PowerBI and with that I'm reworking an existing spreadsheet to be PowerBi uploading friendly.

I'll try to explain this simply:

I have different columns and I basically want the 'Cost' column to automatically show the correct price per head average which I have in a different table on a different sheet when all the fields are filled in - the variable that changes the price is the 'Cost tier'. So when the Skill code is entered, it creates a conditioned drop-down for the Session column, the session code auto-populates from the name of the session. I guess I could make the f2f and virtual column auto-populate too but I dont want to add any more formulas to it.
SkillF2F or virtual?SessionSession codeMany columns in betweenCost tierCost
this has the name for what type of workshop it is (for example, was it for managers or an org-wide opportunity? This has three drop-down options
Is it delivered face to face or virtually?​
The workshop nameThe workshop codeThere is the Base tier which is basically the "standard price" and then tier 2, 3,4... etc for difference discount bands in a drop-down.

What I got so far is just a nested IF/S but I couldn't get it past the first condition:
=IFS([@[Core Skill]]="SKILL1",IFS([@[F2F or Virtual]]="F2F",IF([@[Cost tier]]="Base",INDEX(Costs[Base Cost per head],MATCH([@[Session code]],Costs[Session code],0))))) = shows the correct price fine but only for this condition, I might as well have just done a index(match based on session code. Oh, wait, if I combine the workshop code and the index(match this should work? It's like my last living brain cells are trying so hard for me to have a revelation.

If I need to use some form of LOOKUP function outside of index(match or vlookup, I'm totally hopeless at this stage.

I've also used up my brain juices today with no water consumption.

Thanks, everyone for any insight, I feel like I'm missing something gapingly obvious.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
If there anyone who might know what I need to do? I've been Googling endlessly but in this instance, I've run dry.

After having a think: I need to return a cost based on 2 criteria but the cost can change based on the discount tier that it's on (which is one of the three criteria).

So far I've only achieved it by nested IF:

=IF([@[Cost tier]]="Base",INDEX(Costs[Base Cost per head],MATCH([@[Session code]],Costs[Session code],0)),IF([@[Cost tier]]="Tier 2",INDEX(Costs[Tier 2 Cost per head],MATCH([@[Session code]],Costs[Session code],0)),IF([@[Cost tier]]="Tier 3",INDEX(Costs[T3 Cost per head],MATCH([@[Session code]],Costs[Session code],0)))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back