Returning multiple results (closest match not exact) from a table using multiple criteria

HEM79

Hi,

This may be a repeated question but I failed to find a workable response anywhere.

I have a table showing pump models, minimum & maximum flow rate, minimum & maximum head, and power in one tab called Submersible_Database (see sample attached).

After calculating required head, flow rate and power in another tab called Sizing (see sample), I want to pull all pump models from the table (named table 7 in sample) matching the following criteria:
1- required power <= pump power
2- required head>= minimum head & <= maximum head
3- required flow>= minimum flow & <=maximum flow

Currently, I'm using the following formula, which returns only 1st match (even when i enter it as array formula). I want all possible matches to be listed (for further refining & calculations to select the most efficient one automatically):

[=IFERROR(INDEX(Submersible_Database!H2:H69,MATCH(1,INDEX((Submersible_Database!G2:G69>=Sizing!G43)*(Submersible_Database!F2:F69<=Sizing!G43)*(Submersible_Database!B2:B69<=Sizing!G48)*(Submersible_Database!C2:C69>=Sizing!G48),),FALSE)),"not in range. Change water output or head parameters")]

Help please!

I have a sample file on Google drive that explains it all...https://goo.gl/kLWeJV

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
hello,

please consider a query. just like in a database. so no formulas. defined by SQL of this form,

SELECT comma separated list of the names of the fields you want
FROM NameOfYourDataSource
WHERE required power < = pump power AND required head >= minimum head AND required head <= maximum head AND required flow >= minimum flow AND required flow <= maximum flow

if you set this up as a parameterised query, it can happen automatically - that is without VBA code

BTW, the SQL can be done differently, such as using BETWEEN for the head & flow criteria.

Suggest you google for info on Excel query tables

And for more specific info you might include your Excel version.
And search too for tutorials & examples.
This sort of approach can be improved with VBA.

here is an old (2004) and still current link Parameters in Excel external data queries | Daily Dose of Excel

regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back