Returning Multiple values of dates - Some showing up, some others aren't.

Burnside

I am using Excel 2010 and using Windows 7 professional. I am creating a spread sheet to act as a timetable for a list of exam subjects.

On the first sheet (Called Timetable) I have a table with the names of school subjects along the vertical heading, and then names of various stages along the top heading (from 'Date of Exam' to 'Date of results'). The table is filled with dates all formatted the same.

For example imagine it looks like this (without the dates added in):

Subject| Date of exam| Scripts at scanning centre| |1st Scan Target| |examiners meeting| half way point| |results meeting| |Date of results|
Maths
French
Spanish
English
History

On the second sheet I have the headings copied over. If I enter a date (in Cell C1), the names of the subjects will appear under the headings of the process for that day. For example it would look like this:

1/6/15

Date of exam| Scripts at scanning centre| |1st Scan Target| |examiners meeting| half way point| |results meeting| |Date of results|
Maths.......... French.............................. Spanish
English

The formula I use in all the cells in the table on the second sheet is this:

=INDEX(Timetable!$A$2:$A$19,SMALL(INDEX(($C$1=Timetable!C$2:C$19)*(MATCH(ROW(Timetable!C$2:C$19),ROW(Timetable!C$2:C$19)))+($C$1<>Timetable!C$2:C$19)*1048577,0,0),ROW(Timetable!$A1)))

I actually don't fully understand this formula entirely. I got it from an example and modified it to fit my own spread sheet. (I used the example from here http://www.get-digital-help.com/200...ltiple-values-using-vlookup-in-excel/#explain)

It all works fine except, this is where my problem is.
For the half way point column it doesn't show all the subjects that are on that date. IT shows some, but not others that are supposed to be there The half way point date is the middle date between Date of Exam and Date of results (if it falls on a Saturday or Sunday then it will give the Friday).

Hopefully it's something simple that I've missed and easily fixed. If anyone can help I'd be very grateful,
Thanks,

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
silly question time, how many actual rows are there

Upvote 0
At the moment, there's only 7 as using test data. When finished there should be about near hundred 100.

Upvote 0
ok, the good news is that I solved this. I'll just explain it in case anyone else is having this problem.

IT was finding the midpoint between two dates that caused the grief. When divided by 2, sometimes the answer would have a half reminder and when converted to a date, although it gave the name i.e. 19/06/16 in reality it was 19/06/16.5 which is why it wasn't being recognised. Fixed it by using trunk function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back