Returning rows based on specific column data from different sheet

mcstech

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
So I have one large sheet that contains about 6,000 rows of data across 24 columns. My second sheet has 161 rows across one column (these are alphanumeric serial numbers) that should all be present in column A in the larger sheet. I need to find those 161 entries (column A, sheet 2) out of all 6,000 rows (column A, sheet 1) and either select them all for easy copying or just print that data somewhere. I need all 24 columns to be represented in the search results. I feel like this is somewhat easy but I don't have a strong logic brain so it's throwing me for a loop here.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Welcome to the Board!

You could do this with a series of VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH formulas (one for each column that you want to return).
See: Look up values with VLOOKUP, INDEX, or MATCH

However, this is more of a database problem, and is really easy in Microsoft Access, where you can just link the two tables based on the serial number and return all the fields that you want.
I believe that you could also do it this way in Excel if you use Power Query (which is sort of like applying database concepts to Excel).
I don't use Power Query much myself, as Microsoft Access is my preferred program for relational database issues.

Upvote 0
On the Worksheet containing your larger 6,000 rows. Add a column anywhere you would like.
Use the Match formula
Formula: =Match(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0)
explained =Match(Value to find, Where to look, 0=Exact match)

This will display a value(#) if match is found, or an error if no match is found. Then you can just filter by the Rows that have a value in that column.
Once filtered you can manipulate the data how you would like via copy/paste etc...

Upvote 0
Solution
On the Worksheet containing your larger 6,000 rows. Add a column anywhere you would like.
Use the Match formula
Formula: =Match(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0)
explained =Match(Value to find, Where to look, 0=Exact match)

This will display a value(#) if match is found, or an error if no match is found. Then you can just filter by the Rows that have a value in that column.
Once filtered you can manipulate the data how you would like via copy/paste etc...
Thank you both for your help! This was exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back