Returning Text vs. Value in Pivot Table

scpournara

I have a flat file that I want to drive a Pivot Table. However, instead of showing values in the Pivot Table Values Box, I want to show text data from the flat file. Basically, I am trying to create a summary cheat sheet with catalog number for our business. Ideally, I would use Slicer to pick either Part Number, UPC code or Inventory. Inventory from a reprot filter and return the appropriate value inside the Pivot table from the values in the flat file. I want to make the table dynamic as inventory changes daily and I would up date the file with inventory number if I pick that fiter. If pick the Cat # filer, i would get the Catg $. My Row Labels I have Colors for the different part numbers and in my Column labels I have 3 different attributes to describe the unique part number. Does anyone suggest I do to solve problem.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
One way would be to place the Text field in the Row Labels beneath the colors.

Another way is using PowerPivot instead of a regular Pivot Table and create a Measure to get the text value in the Values area. Rob Collie has a great post explaining how to make it work at PowerPivotPro.

I would also suggest more detail about the structure you are expecting to build. A screenshot showing a dummy version could make it easier to understand your scenario.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back