Returning value based on drop down selection

Mr Philip

Hello Everyone,

My name is Anish. I'm creating a spreadsheet that performs different functions in other tabs based on a master spreasheet per unit. One specific thing I'm looking to do on a seperate tab is report on certain topics (LOA, AWOL, Orientation) so that it returns the value of the name of the individuals that are a "Y" in any of those 3 columns.

The way I picture it laid out in the reporting tab is this:

Dropdown 1 for report type:

ALL
LOA
AWOL
Orientation

A conditional TYPE dropdown that appears only if LOA is chosen in dropdown 1

Disability
Family
Maternity
Medical
Work Comp

Dropdown 3 for Unit:

ALL
A5
D2N
D2S
D4N
D4S
D6N
D7N
D7S

So each unit has their own tab with the raw data. It's laid out like this:

LAST</SPAN>FIRST</SPAN>TITLE</SPAN>UNIT</SPAN>TOUR</SPAN>FTE</SPAN>TKID</SPAN>LOA</SPAN>TYPE</SPAN>RETURN</SPAN>AWOL</SPAN>RETURN</SPAN>ORIENTATION</SPAN>COMPLETION</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL><COL span=6><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL></COLGROUP>

So in the LOA, AWOL, ORIENTATION columns, the person managing the staffing for each unit would put Y if they were one of those things. There's a drop down for Type with the list mentioned above in dropdown 2. Both RETURN columns and the COMPLETION column are date columns.

I have already used the INDIRECT formula to have the TYPE dropdown on the reporting tab display the list in drop down 2 if LOA is chosen for drop down 1.

Essentially, this is what I'm hoping for:

Let's say we have the below in the raw data sheets for unit D7S:

LAST</SPAN>FIRST</SPAN>TITLE</SPAN>UNIT</SPAN>TOUR</SPAN>FTE</SPAN>TKID</SPAN>LOA</SPAN>TYPE</SPAN>RETURN</SPAN>AWOL</SPAN>RETURN</SPAN>ORIENTATION</SPAN>
Langainge</SPAN> Donna</SPAN>RN</SPAN>D7S</SPAN>2</SPAN> Y</SPAN> DISABILITY3/15/15</SPAN>
Sesay</SPAN> Zainab</SPAN>RN</SPAN>D7S</SPAN>2</SPAN>
Baird</SPAN> Lennox</SPAN>RN</SPAN>D7S</SPAN>2</SPAN>
Smith</SPAN> Constancia</SPAN>RN</SPAN>D7S</SPAN>2</SPAN>
Glaze-Bernard</SPAN> Sheryl</SPAN>RN</SPAN>D7S</SPAN>2</SPAN>
Sonko</SPAN> Rouguiatou</SPAN>RN</SPAN>D7S</SPAN>2</SPAN>
Harris-Casey</SPAN> Beverley</SPAN>RN</SPAN>D7S</SPAN>2</SPAN> Y</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL><COL span=7><COL><COL><COL><COL></COLGROUP>

If I choose LOA in the REPORT TYPE dropdown, and select ALL in the TYPE dropdown, and choose unit D7S in the UNIT dropdown,

I will get in my first alloted row:

LAST</SPAN>FIRST</SPAN>TITLE</SPAN>UNIT</SPAN>TYPE</SPAN>RETURN</SPAN>
Langainge</SPAN> Donna</SPAN>RN</SPAN>D7S</SPAN>DISABILITY</SPAN>3/15/2015</SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL span=6></COLGROUP>
</SPAN>
</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN> </SPAN> </SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
If they choose Orientation, there will be no type, and they could choose the unit or all. I can upload a spreasheet if needed. I've referenced a lot of the lessons on this site in creating other sheets and it has been a great help. I went from a novice to pretty good. I just took a test from a staffing agency based on overall knowledge, from beginner to power user and scored a 97 which I can attribute to this site. I just can't figure out the Excel logic on this issue.
</SPAN></SPAN>
</SPAN> </SPAN>

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL><COL span=6><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL><COL></COLGROUP>
</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>

<TBODY>

</SPAN>
</SPAN></SPAN>

<TBODY>

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
OK taking a step back it might be easier for my need to do a pivot table across all the specific worksheets with the data. if anyone does know a way to do the above, it would be def more aesthetically pleasing but I think I could get the job done this way.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back