Returning values from an array or filter

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone, the first post excel. Excel isn't my strongest skill, but I've been at this all morning and can't work it out. Perhaps you can help with the challenge!

I have a table of data (its 100,000 lines long).

In it, I have some fields: (see below for an example). The data differs in that a product can have 3-30 lines depending on its range. this is for a clothing company.

I'm building this data up from another table, but in essence, I need to add image files based on a product.

So if the GROUPCODE is the same (example ABC123), then the first unique image URL should be posted in the IMAGE1 Column. Secondly, the IMAGE2 column takes another image URL if it exists (belonging to the ABC123 group) and the third column (and so on) listing the URLs.

Products can have up to 12 unique images. This are based on the size and colour combinations.

I'm assuming this is some form of filtering the results in an Array within the formula, and selecting the first, second and third entries and posting them accordingly.

Eg URL for Image has 3 unique entries based on the group code ABC123, so post those entries in the Image columns.

There are likely many ways to do this. But I'm stuck!

TypeGroupCodeProduct(Unique)URLforImageImage1Image2Image3SizeColour
ProductABC123ABC123/ABC/OrangeShirt/0001.jpg/ABC/OrangeShirt/0001.jpg/ABC/GreenShirt/001.jpg/ABC/Yellow/001.jpg
SKUABC123ABC1234A/ABC/OrangeShirt/0001.jpgSmallOrange
SKUABC123ABC1234B/ABC/OrangeShirt/0001.jpgMediumOrange
SKUABC123ABC1234C/ABC/OrangeShirt/0001.jpgLargeOrange
SKUABC123ABC123GS/ABC/GreenShirt/001.jpgSmallGreen
SKUABC123ABC123GS/ABC/GreenShirt/001.jpgMediumGreen
SKUABC123ABC123YS/ABC/Yellow/001.jpgSmallYellow
SKUABC123ABC123YS/ABC/Yellow/001.jpgMediumYellow
SKUABC123ABC123YS/ABC/Yellow/001.jpgLargeYellow
SKUABC123ABC123YS/ABC/Yellow/001.jpgXLargeYellow
ProductMIKE123MIKE123/MIKE/OrangeShirt/0001.jpg/MIKE/OrangeShirt/0001.jpg
SKUMIKE123MIKE1234A/MIKE/OrangeShirt/0001.jpgSmallOrange
SKUMIKE123MIKE1234A/MIKE/OrangeShirt/0001.jpgMediumOrange
SKUMIKE123MIKE1234A/MIKE/OrangeShirt/0001.jpgLargeOrange

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Judged just by your example you could do:

=IF(A2="Product",TRANSPOSE(UNIQUE(FILTER(D:D,(A:A="SKU")*(B:B=B2)))),"")

Upvote 0
Thanks for this, it really help me understand it. I ended up making some tweaks as I needed to look up the list and transpose a few results (not just one). I wouldn't have gotten there without your help though. I really appreciate it! Thanks very much

=IF(A2="Product",(INDEX(UNIQUE(FILTER(D:D,B:B=B2,"")),SEQUENCE(1,5))),"")

For those that find this.

The first Part is a TRUE or FALSE. So if A2 = "Product", then fire ahead and do something, if not write a blank (the last part of the equation "")

OK if PRODUCT (which it is) then proceed.

So starting from the outside using INDEX

"Return 5 things from inside the brackets (this is the INDEX) and transpose them, or write them horizontally. That's this bit INDEX, and SEQUENCE(1,5)" combination.

The array we get back from the inside of this function sometimes contains 1 element, sometimes 20, so setting the sequence to 5, means we only get 5 of these things. We could change that to 3 and get 3 of them.

UNIQUE, make something inside the array, UNIQUE, show only 1 of its kind. So from the array, we want to find unique values (which we will reduce to a total of 5 eventually).

FILTER what gets passed to Unique, and filter the stuff in the column D (URL for IMAGE). The filter will mean the array will be based on the Groupcode
We filter it based on what in L2 (which is the GROUPCODE for 10 items in this case). So we want a list of URLS but only if they match the GroupCode.
As we copy down the formula, the group code will change.

So this takes the list of the GROUPCODE, lists a bunch of URLs (in the case above that would be 10 items, of which the UNIQUE part reduces to 3, as three of the URLs are unique)

So only things with the GROUP code are looked at, only UNIQUE items from that are returned (a lot of them, but in this case 3, there could be more, but we stop at 5 so the returns list doesn't get too big).

Index reduces this down to 5 things in that array, and transposes them.

Hopefully I explained that enough!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back