Reveal or hide cell contents after a time period (or other suggestions!)

mrfahaji

Hi - I've been working on a big spreadsheet and have so far avoided using any VBA, but I think this conundrum may call for it. However I am generally open to ideas of how to get around this obstacle, I hope it can be done!

The situation:
I have created a set of 'balance scales', where you can select up to four items (balls of different colour) per bowl and the spreadsheet returns which side is heavier (or if they balance). The balls can be selected from dropdown menus and the options available are dependent on what colours the user has in their inventory. This bit has been quite straightforward. However:

I don't want the results of the 'weigh' to show until a button is clicked. I also want a counter to +1 every time the scales are used (a spinbutton works for this but not if I need to make it more complicated). Finally, once the results have been shown I don't want the user to be able to make changes to the configuration unless the reset/clear the options. It's this third bit that I'm struggling with.

The current logic works for the initial situation: Weighs = 0 -> everything is blank (no results showing) -> Click spinbutton -> Weighs = 1. Results appear and a message appears saying "you need to reset the scales".

But once the weighs are > 0 the user can just make changes to the items on the scales and the results change accordingly, without having to click the weigh button again. This is what I need to avoid but I'm stumped!

Feel like I need to have something which either a) shows the results for a short time period (e.g. 5 seconds) or b) locks the input cells so that users can't amend them until they hit the reset button.

Or some other hopefully easy solution that I just haven't thought about! Hoping that the excel wizards might be able to help. If anything is unclear let me know - feels quite difficult to explain unless I go into meticulous detail so hopefully the above makes sense. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back