Reversing an indexing formula

Nova1979

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have had help with the below formula (way out of my league). This searches and returns all results NOT found

=IFERROR(INDEX('WO Shortages'!A$2:A$4000,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW('WO Shortages'!$B$2:$B$4000)-ROW('WO Shortages'!$B$2)+1)/((ISERROR(MATCH('WO Shortages'!$B$2:$B$4000,'WMS Report'!$C$2:$C$4000,0)))*(ISERROR(MATCH('WO Shortages'!$E$2:$E$4000,'WMS Report'!$M$2:$M$4000,0)))), ROWS(A$2:A4))),"")

Could someone help to reverse this to return all results found.

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I have something for you to try...
First of all, make a copy of your document and try this so you don't mess up your original document.

Put this formula where you had that one; ( In the correct row number)

=IFERROR(INDEX('WO Shortages'!A$2:A$4000,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW('WO Shortages'!$B$2:$B$4000)-ROW('WO Shortages'!$B$2)+1)/(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH('WO Shortages'!$B$2:$B$4000,'WMS Report'!$C$2:$C$4000,0)))*NOT(ISERROR(MATCH('WO Shortages'!$E$2:$E$4000,'WMS Report'!$M$2:$M$4000,0)))), ROWS(A$2:A4))),"")

I basically added the word "NOT" in two places, just before the two ISERROR formulas in the second half of the overall formula.
I hope it works for you...

Upvote 0
The key part of your equation is:

ISERROR(MATCH())*ISERROR(MATCH()) which means that matches fail on both column pairs.

If, by reverse, you mean matches on both column pairs succeed, you can simply change to:

ISNUMBER(MATCH())*ISNUMBER(MATCH()).

But if, by reverse, you mean matches on either column pair succeeds, you should change to:

NOT(ISERROR(MATCH())*ISERROR(MATCH()))

Incidentally, your formula will find the third non-match. (ROWS(A$2:A4) is just a convoluted way of generating the number 3). Presumably you have similar formulae in the two cells above to generate the first and second non-match?

Upvote 0
Hi Stephen,
The formula was originally place in A2 and copied through to AE500. Its purpose was to return row data if both criteria did not match.

I have modified as you have indicated and it oooks like it works well

Thank you

Upvote 0
That's good to hear, thanks. But be careful with the ROWS reference, which determines the Nth result shown. Your starting formula in A2 should be of the form:

=IFERROR(INDEX('WO Shortages'!A$2:A$4000,AGGREGATE(15,6,YourFormulaForMatchingOrNotMatching, ROWS(A$2:A2))),"") so that when copied down, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc occurrence are shown.

If the starting formula in A2 has ROWS(A$2:A4), then when copied down you'll be showing the 3rd, 4th, 5th etc occurrence, and omitting the 1st and 2nd.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back