Reversing my lookup for a reversed name

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hi,

Thanks in advance for your help through this amazing forum! I wish I could be more help to others here!

I am trying to fill in Employee IDs in column A by pulling them from a separate list based on names.

I have the following formula, which pulls ID numbers from a separate list based on names: =TRIM(IFERROR(INDEX(separate list column A,MATCH(RIGHT(B2,LEN(B2)-FIND(" ",B2))&", "&LEFT(B2,FIND(" ",B2)-1), separate list column B,0),1),"Fill in"))

CURRENTLY,

Active sheet:
A B
Emp. IDName
Derrick Domingo
Beth Brown
Amber Amigos

Separate List:
1626204826650.png

CURRENTLY, the list it's pulling from (Separate List) has the names listed like this: Last, First
while the active sheet has the names listed like this: First Last

I now have a NEW Active Sheet where the names are listed Last, First. The Separate List remains the same.

How can I adjust my formula for this new format? I would still like it to look for last name, look for first name, and if it contains both, pull up the matching ID from Separate List. I also don't want it to be thrown off by the presence of a middle initial.

Hope that was clear.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Assuming your separate list is located on a worksheet named "Separate List", give this formula a try...
Excel Formula:
=INDEX('Separate List'!A:A,MATCH(MID(B2&", "&B2,FIND(" ",B2)+1,LEN(B2)+1),'Separate List'!B:B,0))

Upvote 0
Thank you. I now have:

=TRIM(INDEX('Separate List'!$A:$A,MATCH(MID(B2&", "&B2,FIND(" ",B2)+1,LEN(B2)+1),'Separate List'!$B:$B,0),1))

But it is giving me a #N/A error.

(I did also try it the way you had it, without the 1 at the end.)

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
What middle initial? Your examples did not show any names with middle initials. That would definitely affect things if you have a mix like that. Please show what you posted initially but with truly representative data so we can see what you actually have to work with. Make sure to include periods if the middle initial has them. Do you have some with periods and others without?

Upvote 0
On the Separate List, some of the names have middle initials. None have a period.

So a name might appear as 'Domingo, Derrick' on the Active Sheet and as 'Domingo, Derrick W' on the Separate List.

I am trying to write a formula that does the following: IF a cell on the Separate List contains both the first name and last name contained in the cell on the Active Sheet (regardless of possible middle initial), THEN I want it to pull the corresponding ID number from the Separate List.

Upvote 0
When there is a middle initial, will it only be in the Separate List?

If not, is it possible for the middle initial to be on the active sheet but not in the Separate List?

Upvote 0
When there is a middle initial, will it only be in the Separate List?

If not, is it possible for the middle initial to be on the active sheet but not in the Separate List?
I don't believe a middle initial would be on the Active Sheet but not on the Separate List. However, I don't know that for sure, so if the formula could account for that possibility, that would be ideal.

Upvote 0
This might help make the question clearer:
I'm trying to do the same thing, EXCEPT this time, in Spreadsheet1, the names are listed Last, First.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back