Loop
End If

But the excel workbook gets hanged when

Rich (BB code):
If y = 2 Then
       If a(y) = 0 Or a(y) = "" Then GoTo finish
        If b(y) = 0 Or b(y) = "" Then GoTo finish
                     If a(y - 1) > a(y) And b(y - 1) < b(y) Then
                                               findhigh = Format(a(y - 1), "0.00")
                                               GoTo finish

End If
End If

I am finishing the code with

Rich (BB code):
findhigh = "null"
         finish:
End With
End Function

What mistake is there in the code? Any revision/help so that hanging issue of the workbook gets solved will be highly appreciated.

There's nothing obvious in the code you've posted that would hang the workbook. You've also said that the code seems to work fine in a new workbook, and to work in most circumstances in your current workbook.

It's clear from your descriptions above, and the lengthy discussion here: Can formula be removed by Excel that there is a lot going on in your workbook - including live data feeds, and other code that triggers based on the system time. We won't be able to replicate your workbook's behaviour.

Your other thread refers to code being triggered at 9:30. In this thread you say the problem happens between 9:45 and 10:00. That's a pretty strong hint that you should start by looking at what your other code might be doing around that time?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
There's nothing obvious in the code you've posted that would hang the workbook. You've also said that the code seems to work fine in a new workbook, and to work in most circumstances in your current workbook.

It's clear from your descriptions above, and the lengthy discussion here: Can formula be removed by Excel that there is a lot going on in your workbook - including live data feeds, and other code that triggers based on the system time. We won't be able to replicate your workbook's behaviour.

Your other thread refers to code being triggered at 9:30. In this thread you say the problem happens between 9:45 and 10:00. That's a pretty strong hint that you should start by looking at what your other code might be doing around that time?
  1. Your quote You've also said that the code seems to work fine in a "new workbook" NEVER SAID
  2. There is some problem in the code since when I delete the entire code from the Module, my Workbook & all its ws & some ws with Worksheet codes (28 such ws with ws code precisely) WORKS FINE.
  3. The problem PERSISTS ONLY WHEN ‘D10=1 AND E10=0’ OR ‘D10=1 AND E10=1’ & as soon as F10=1, ALL PROBLEMS VANISHES.
  4. So it leads to the conclusion that the trouble is in 2 parts of the codes.
  • 1st part: the line/(s) starting with
If y = 2 And Sheets("ZZZ").Range("F10").Value < 1 Then ….& ending with Next q Loop End If

• 2nd part: the line/(s) starting with
  • If y = 1 And Sheets("ZZZ").Range("E10").Value < 1 Then……& ending with GoTo finish End If
  • These 2 parts are the ‘grey areas’ of the code.

Upvote 0
Your quote You've also said that the code seems to work fine in a "new workbook" NEVER SAID
Yes, sorry. I got that wrong. I should have re-read the thread, rather than relying on memory.

The problem PERSISTS ONLY WHEN ‘D10=1 AND E10=0’ OR ‘D10=1 AND E10=1’ & as soon as F10=1, ALL PROBLEMS VANISHES.

If D10 is 1 and E10 is 0 (and I think this means F10:M10 is all zero), then your Findhigh function distils down to this:

VBA Code:
Function findhigh(a As Range, b As Range, c As Range) As String

y = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Sheets("ZZZ").Range("D10:M10"), "=1")
    'So y =1

'and this IF condition will be TRUE
    If y = 1 And Sheets("ZZZ").Range("E10").Value < 1 Then
        findhigh = Format(a(y), "0.00")
        GoTo finish
    End If

finish:

End Function

So: =findhigh(D4:M4,D6:M6,SomeRangeC) will return either a blank string (if D4 or D6 is blank or zero) or the formatted value of D4 if non-zero.

By itself, this function can't hang the workbook.

If you can post a link to a workbook where the function does hang Excel, I'd be very happy to take a look.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, sorry. I got that wrong. I should have re-read the thread, rather than relying on memory.

If D10 is 1 and E10 is 0 (and I think this means F10:M10 is all zero), then your Findhigh function distils down to this:

VBA Code:

'So y =1

'and this IF condition will be TRUE
    If y = 1 And Sheets("ZZZ").Range("E10").Value < 1 Then
        findhigh = Format(a(y), "0.00")
        GoTo finish
    End If

finish:

End Function

So: =findhigh(D4:M4,D6:M6,SomeRangeC) will return either a blank string (if D4 or D6 is blank or zero) or the formatted value of D4 if non-zero.

By itself, this function can't hang the workbook.

If you can post a link to a workbook where the function does hang Excel, I'd be very happy to take a look.
If D10 is 1 and E10 is 0 (and I think this means F10:M10 is all zero) YES F10:M10 IS ALL ZERO WHEN D10 IS 1 AND E10 IS 0
THE ABOVE CODE LINES ARE ALREADY THERE IN VBA (IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BTW YOUR'S & MINE?)
=findhigh(D4:M4,D6:M6,SomeRangeC) Could not understand what is SomeRangeC

Upvote 0
=findhigh(D4:M4,D6:M6,SomeRangeC) Could not understand what is SomeRangeC

Your code used to do this:

VBA Code:

'...
    y = Application.CountIf(c, 1)
    '...

But your latest test version now hard-codes D10:M10 and doesn't use c, hence it doesn't matter what c is specified:

Code:

'...
    '...

In practice, your cell formula is probably still: =findhigh(D4:M4,D6:M6,D10:M10). So let's use that.

If D10 is 1 and E10 is 0 (and I think this means F10:M10 is all zero) YES F10:M10 IS ALL ZERO WHEN D10 IS 1 AND E10 IS 0
THE ABOVE CODE LINES ARE ALREADY THERE IN VBA (IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BTW YOUR'S & MINE?)
If D10 is 1, and E10:M10 are all 0, then in Findhigh, y will be 1. This means that most of the code won't be executed, e.g. all this:

Rich (BB code):
If y >= 3 Then
    Do While y > 1
        hv = a(y): lv = b(y)
        For q = y - 1 To 1 Step -1
            If a(q) > hv And b(q) < lv Then
                findhigh = Format(a(q), "0.00")
                GoTo finish
            End If
            y = y - 1
        Next q
    Loop
End If

If y = 2 And Sheets("ZZZ").Range("F10").Value < 1 Then
    If a(y) = "" Then GoTo finish
    If b(y) = "" Then GoTo finish
    If a(y) = 0 Or b(y) = 0 Then
        GoTo finish
    End If

q = y - 1
    Do While q <> 0
                GoTo finish
            End If
            y = y - 1
        Next q
    Loop
End If

The code I posted in #23 is what's left. Very simple code, no looping, nothing that should hang Excel.

This must be very frustrating for you, and we'd like to help. But based on everything posted so far, I can't replicate the problem, and I can't see anything in your findhigh and findlow functions that would hang the workbook.

As I said above, If you can post a link to a workbook where the function does hang Excel, I'd be very happy to take a look.

Upvote 0
Your code used to do this:

VBA Code:

'...
    y = Application.CountIf(c, 1)
    '...

But your latest test version now hard-codes D10:M10 and doesn't use c, hence it doesn't matter what c is specified:

Code:

'...
    '...

In practice, your cell formula is probably still: =findhigh(D4:M4,D6:M6,D10:M10). So let's use that.

If D10 is 1, and E10:M10 are all 0, then in Findhigh, y will be 1. This means that most of the code won't be executed, e.g. all this:

Rich (BB code):
If y >= 3 Then
    Do While y > 1
                GoTo finish
            End If
            y = y - 1
        Next q
    Loop
End If

If y = 2 And Sheets("ZZZ").Range("F10").Value < 1 Then
    If a(y) = "" Then GoTo finish
    If b(y) = "" Then GoTo finish
    If a(y) = 0 Or b(y) = 0 Then
        GoTo finish
    End If

q = y - 1
    Do While q <> 0
                GoTo finish
            End If
            y = y - 1
        Next q
    Loop
End If

The code I posted in #23 is what's left. Very simple code, no looping, nothing that should hang Excel.

This must be very frustrating for you, and we'd like to help. But based on everything posted so far, I can't replicate the problem, and I can't see anything in your findhigh and findlow functions that would hang the workbook.

As I said above, If you can post a link to a workbook where the function does hang Excel, I'd be very happy to take a look.
StephenCrump
Now my gut feeling is that you will solve this ‘troubling’ issue i.e. findhigh & findlow populating #VALUE! (Excel is hanged ONLY WHEN #VALUE! is populated ELSE NOT HANGED) When y=1 or 2 (y=1 WHEN ‘D10=1 AND E10=0’; y=2 WHEN ‘D10=1 AND E10=1’). Here I would like to ask whether the below code line being used currently in the vba for performing this is correct or not?

Rich (BB code):
Dim y As Integer
  1. Worksheet(“ZZZ”) has D10:M10 (which was c As Range) & generates values=0 to 10. By default D10:M10=0 so c (or y in new vba)=0
  2. a Range & b Range never generates “” (null) or space/(s). It generates 0 or +ve numerical values only
I want the code should perform as
  1. When y=0 Then ‘do nothing’ i.e. findhigh & findlow=blank (blank is default value of findhigh & findlow cells)
  2. y=1, findhigh=a(1); findlow=b(1)
  3. y=2, findhigh=a(1) if a(1)>a(2) AND b(1)<b(2); findlow=b(1) if a(1)>a(2) AND b(1)<b(2) ELSE findhigh=a(1); findlow=b(1)
  4. y>=3, code works properly.
  5. Additional: If WA10=1 Then findhigh=blank;findlow=blank (when WA10 will become 1 from 0, then y would be equal to 10; by default WA10=0)

Upvote 0
Can you please post an example of Function findhigh returning #VALUE, i.e. the cell formula and all the range a, range b and Sheets("ZZZ").Range("D10:M10") cell values?

If the cell values are all numeric, as you say, I don't see how the function can return #VALUE.

Upvote 0
Can you please post an example of Function findhigh returning #VALUE, i.e. the cell formula and all the range a, range b and Sheets("ZZZ").Range("D10:M10") cell values?

If the cell values are all numeric, as you say, I don't see how the function can return #VALUE.
StephenCrump
First I would say you are MVP & that means something with messages more than 4800
Secondly you are a good human being who tries to understand & listen to someone’s problem.
Thirdly, my feeling is more stronger that you can get me out of this trouble.
Now, the peculiar thing is the code performs well when y=0 or y>=3. But it gives trouble when y=1 & then y=2.
Here I would like to ask the code lines
Rich (BB code):
Dim y As Integer
Is it correctly written? OR any change is recommended?
Is Dim y As Integer needed?
What this line results into i.e. what output/(s) can be y?

Upvote 0
Here I would like to ask the code lines
Rich (BB code):
Dim y As Integer
Is it correctly written? OR any change is recommended?
These two lines won't cause any problem.

And I don't think any of the code you've posted is causing the workbook to hang.

Are you able to provide an example for my previous question?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back