riddle me that

iknowu99

Guess an answer and follow up with a new riddle

Q: What goes around the world but stays in a corner?

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
A: a stamp

Q:
you are on a barbaric island: barbarians are either going to take you in or eat you! They give you 100 marbles: 50 white, 50 black. They give you two jars in which you must put all the marbles. Then they will randomly pick a jar and then one marble out of that jar – white ball and you are accepted. How to distribute the marbles to maximize chances of survival??

1 white in jar #1 & the other 99 in jar #2?
Of course!!! How clever. I don't know why that didn't occur to me.

If my calculations are correct, that gives you a 74.7% chance of survival.
=(.5 * 1) + (.5 * (49/99))

A lot better than 50/50...

1 white in jar #1 & the other 99 in jar #2?
Of course!!! How clever. I don't know why that didn't occur to me.

If my calculations are correct, that gives you a 74.7% chance of survival.
=(.5 * 1) + (.5 * (49/99))

A lot better than 50/50...

What if all the black marbles are on the bottom?

Where do you find "barbarians" who make you answer math questions in order to live? :LOL:

Smitty

What if all the black marbles are on the bottom?
That doesn't necessarily help, unless you know for a fact that they will always pick from the top. If they always pick from the bottom, you're in big trouble...

(... but I'm guessing you really weren't serious!)

Or gnaw on the black marbles for a while until the black paint comes off. Then, distribute the all white marbles however you'd like :LOL:

Or if you are a ninja use the marbles as deadly weapons, and make your escape.:)

PS I'm not a ninja so I don't actually know if you can use marbles as deadly weapons, but hey who knows - worth a shot don't you think. :rolleyes:

...What if all the black marbles are on the bottom?...
~Smitty

Actually, that thought crossed my mind too. If the jar was small enough that w/ 99 in it you can't shake/mix 'em too much and the opening of the jar was such that you can only just get your hand inside, then yes, I would definitely also put the black ones on the bottom of the jar too! :biggrin:

Where do you find "barbarians" who make you answer math questions in order to live? :LOL:
~Smitty

Indeed -- an excellent question. :unsure:

A: The ninja technique is correct. 100 marbles should be enough to establish order. Next get the barbarians to build a computer, then use the Excel that comes with barbarian windows(tm) and thanks to Excel's many functions prioritize a new world where only white marbles exist, black ones are thrown far into the sea

how about a simple "if then" puzzle :)

Q: A prisoner is told "If you tell a lie we will hang you; if you tell the truth we will shoot you." What can he say to save himself?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back