right triangle PLEASE HELP

trent449

I need to write a spread sheet that will calculate the length of 2 unknown sides of a right triangle using the following information.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Here is what I know
1. I have a right triangle
2. I know the length of the hypotenuses
3. I know the ratio between the length of the other 2 sides
<o:p> </o:p>
I need to write and Excel file that will solve for the length of the other two sides
<o:p> </o:p>
The math look like a^2+b^2=c^2

with c being known and the ratio between a and b known<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Hmmm. Assignment question maybe?

See if these formulas (copied down) do what you want.

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1HypotenuseRatio a/bSide aSide b
Right Triangle

Upvote 0
Peter, just curious, I have seen many users on different forums including MrExcel get offended or get impulsive if someone posts an "assignment" or "homework" question. What is the reason behind it ?

I think a question is a question and if it is an assignment question, well its none of our business because you are on a free board !

Upvote 0
Peter, just curious, I have seen many users on different forums including MrExcel get offended or get impulsive if someone posts an "assignment" or "homework" question. What is the reason behind it ?

I think a question is a question and if it is an assignment question, well its none of our business because you are on a free board !
I don't think this is the place for this discussion. If you want to raise the issue (it has been discussed several times before) I suggest you start a thread (or continue an existing one) in The Lounge or About this Board. I point out though, that in this instance, I was neither offended nor impulsive and answered the question fully. :)

Upvote 0
Man, you just made it obvious that you got offended :eek:
No, that is a mistaken interpretation on your behalf. If I was offended, I would not have given the OP a warm welcome to the board and I would not have answered the question.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Is it possible to know the length of the adjacent sides of the right rectangle without knowing the Ratio between them - (ie : just knowing the length of the hypotenuses) ?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Is it possible to know the length of the adjacent sides of the right rectangle without knowing the Ratio between them - (ie : just knowing the length of the hypotenuses) ?

Thanks in advance.
No, for any given hypotenuse, there would be an infinite number of 'other side' combinations. For example, for a hypotenuse of 5, my example above gave a combination of equal 'other sides', but the other sides could also be:
3 and 4
2 and SQRT(21)
2.5 and SQRT(18.75)

In general, one side can be anything (say a) greater than 0 and less than 5 and the other side would be:
SQRT(5^2-a^2)
etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, that is a mistaken interpretation on your behalf. If I was offended, I would not have given the OP a warm welcome to the board and I would not have answered the question

I can show you many instances in your *POSTS* where you have discussed topics out of the main topic posted by the OP so why not this one ? Instead you give clarifications and justify your actions.

I was not born yesterday. You overlook the obvious :LOL:

And now please close this topic right here because I do not intend to hijack someone's thread just for this heck and make the moderators unhappy.

Upvote 0
No, for any given hypotenuse, there would be an infinite number of 'other side' combinations. For example, for a hypotenuse of 5, my example above gave a combination of equal 'other sides', but the other sides could also be:
3 and 4
2 and SQRT(21)
2.5 and SQRT(18.75)

In general, one side can be anything (say a) greater than 0 and less than 5 and the other side would be:
SQRT(5^2-a^2)
etc

You are right Peter. Thanks for the answer.

I guess if one knows the hypotenuse length And one of the angles i can work out the length of the two adjacent sides.

I wonder what the formula would be .

Long time since studying Geometry in high school - I really need a refresher :)

Regards.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back