Rolling average ignoring cells that have text or are blank

tafkap777

I have a group with 32 members. Each day, I enter in their scores from that day's completed games. I keep track of their average score for the most recent 10 days, and have typically just manually adjusted the range (for example I manually change A2:J2 to B2:K2).

In playing around with rolling averages today, I was able to successfully find a formula that works, but only if the most recent 10 cells in the row contain numbers. If they are blank or contain text, I get an error.

So my question is, how can my rolling average formula be improved so that it will ignore cells that are blank or contain text. =AVERAGE((OFFSET(A2,0,COUNT(A2:ZZ2)-10,1,10)))

I've tried to paste a picture below of my spreadsheet, but can't. Boy...just fail after fail today.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Last 10 cells. If someone misses a game, I mark that with "miss", and new members will have a blank cell, since they didn't play all 10 games.

I hope this makes sense!<attachment></attachment>

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I wish I could post pics here. Let's call the range A1:A10. I have two guys that have no entry for the first 7 cells...the last three (cells A8:A10) have 10, 16 and 17. This should average 14.3, but instead I get #REF !

Upvote 0
I wish I could post pics here. Let's call the range A1:A10. I have two guys that have no entry for the first 7 cells...the last three (cells A8:A10) have 10, 16 and 17. This should average 14.3, but instead I get #REF !

You need to adjust the OFFSET bit for the vertical range you seem to have...

=AVERAGE(OFFSET(INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A1:A10)),0,0,-MIN(10,COUNT(A1:A10))))

Upvote 0
Still not working out. I'm going to see if I can post the actual sheet somewhere and link it here. Won't get to it until tomorrow though.

I really appreciate your efforts!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back