artikyulashun

ABCWeek 1Week 2
MFG AMFG BMFG CMFG AMFG BMFG CMFG AMFG BMFG C
Bananas.6.2.2ON
Apples.1.4.5ON
Oranges.3.5.2ON

<tbody>
</tbody>

Columns A,B and C represent Percentage of Unit Volume by MFG for the Fruits to the left.

Using these numbers, I would like to generate a rotating 13-week promotional schedule for each item. Maximum number of weeks in a row that an MFG can have any one specific item on sale is two weeks. However, at the end of the of the 13-weeks, I'd like the number of instances that, for example, MFG A has Bananas on sale equal or near their share or .6.

My initial thought was you could use a ratio to create a patterned binary list of 1 and 0 or "on" and "off" for each item, but perhaps it is easier with these percentages? Perhaps this is simply a manual task.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Intriguing problem. Just to be sure I understand, every week every product will be on sale for one of the manufacturers? If so, I reorganized it a bit so each week has just 1 column, and instead of "ON", it shows the name of the manufacturer instead.

Given that, I started with this:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR
1MFG AMFG BMFG CWeek 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Week 5Week 6Week 7Week 8Week 9Week 10Week 11Week 12Week 13
2Bananas0.60.20.2MFG AMFG CMFG AMFG CMFG CMFG AMFG AMFG AMFG CMFG AMFG CMFG CMFG A
3Apples0.10.40.5MFG AMFG CMFG CMFG BMFG CMFG CMFG CMFG BMFG BMFG AMFG BMFG CMFG C
4Oranges0.30.50.2MFG CMFG BMFG BMFG BMFG AMFG BMFG AMFG BMFG BMFG BMFG CMFG CMFG B

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
F2=INDEX($B$1:$D$1,MATCH(RAND(),SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET($A2,0,0,1,{1,2,3}))))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Put the formula in F2, then drag it to the rest of the cells in the table.

The formula in F2 will randomly assign a manufacturer to each cell, based on the ratios in columns A:C. So each manufacturer should be listed roughly the right percentage, but it could vary some. The problem with this is that it does not take into account the maximum 2-week limit. That proved to be a tougher nut to crack. But I came up with this:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR
1MFG AMFG BMFG CWeek 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Week 5Week 6Week 7Week 8Week 9Week 10Week 11Week 12Week 13
2Bananas0.60.20.2MFG AMFG AMFG BMFG AMFG CMFG AMFG BMFG AMFG AMFG BMFG BMFG AMFG A
3Apples0.10.40.5MFG BMFG CMFG CMFG BMFG CMFG CMFG BMFG BMFG CMFG BMFG BMFG CMFG C
4Oranges0.30.50.2MFG AMFG BMFG BMFG AMFG CMFG BMFG AMFG CMFG BMFG BMFG AMFG BMFG A

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet2

Array Formulas
CellFormula
F2{=INDEX($B$1:$D$1,LARGE(LOOKUP(ROW(INDIRECT("1:10"))-1,SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET($A2,0,0,1,{1,2,3}))*10,{1,2,3}*SIGN(((D2<>E2)+(E2<>$B$1:$D$1)))),RANDBETWEEN(1,SUM(10*($B2:$D2*SIGN(((D2<>E2)+(E2<>$B$1:$D$1))))))))}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Put the formula in F2, confirm with Control+Shift+Enter, then drag to the rest of the cells in the table. Also note that this works if your percentages are all 1 digit (.6). If you go to 2 digits, find the 10 in the formula (3 places) and replace it with 100.

This should prevent the same manufacturer more than 2 weeks in a row, and still keep the same ratios. If you want a different list, just press F9. This example shows no MFG A for apples, which is possible. Adding more constraints might push this into the realm of VBA though.

Let me know if this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back