Round Down and IF formulas

simplyrose25

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,

I'm trying to create a reconciliation report and want to check 3 columns regarding student loan. Trying to use the round down formula combined with IF but it keeps telling me there are too few arguments.

=ROUNDDOWN(MAX(IF(AT13=Y,(AC13-1577.92)*9%)),0)

=ROUNDDOWN(MAX(IF(AV13=Y,(AC13-2143.75)*9%)),0)

=ROUNDDOWN(MAX(IF(AX13=3,(AC13-1750)*6%,0)

Any help would be massively appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 13.19.45.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 13.19.45.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 5

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Welcome to the Board!

Your IF function is missing the FALSE argument.
You are telling it that if AT13 = "Y" (by they way, that "Y" needs to be enclosed in double-quotes), then return the value (AC13-1577.92)*9% , but you aren't telling it what to return if FALSE.
It that case, it would default to FALSE, but you cannot rounddown the word FALSE.
And I am not sure what you are trying to do with the MAX function, when you are just returning a single value.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Your IF function is missing the FALSE argument.
You are telling it that if AT13 = "Y" (by they way, that "Y" needs to be enclosed in double-quotes), then return the value (AC13-1577.92)*9% , but you aren't telling it what to return if FALSE.
It that case, it would default to FALSE, but you cannot rounddown the word FALSE.
And I am not sure what you are trying to do with the MAX function, when you are just returning a single value.
Hi Joe :)

Thanks for the welcome, what I want is if it say Y it would return a value if it says N it returns a 0 value. Do you know if thats possible?

Upvote 0
Then I think it just should look like this (assuming that you still want to Rounddown:
=ROUNDDOWN(IF(AT13="Y",(AC13-1577.92)*9%,0),0)

Upvote 0
Then I think it just should look like this (assuming that you still want to Rounddown:
=ROUNDDOWN(IF(AT13="Y",(AC13-1577.92)*9%,0),0)
Yes still need to roundown as the guidelines say it should be round down this figure to the nearest whole pound.

I'll try your formula now, thank you so much again!

Upvote 0
You are welcome. Regarding the MAX function, were you perhaps trying to force all values less than zero to be zero (so as to not show any negative values)?
If so, you can just apply the MAX function to the whole formula I posted above, i.e.
=MAX(ROUNDDOWN(IF(AT13="Y",(AC13-1577.92)*9%,0),0),0)

Upvote 0
You are welcome. Regarding the MAX function, were you perhaps trying to force all values less than zero to be zero (so as to not show any negative values)?
If so, you can just apply the MAX function to the whole formula I posted above, i.e.
=MAX(ROUNDDOWN(IF(AT13="Y",(AC13-1577.92)*9%,0),0),0)
It worked :D you literally saved my bacon. With the MAX I think it was legacy but you're right it doesnt apply really. Really appreciate your help again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back