Round to Closest Number of Years

BoTrudeau

I have searched online, but I cannot find a solution to accomplish my objective. My objective is this: I am trying to subtract one date from another, then round the result to the closest number of years. In the federal tax world, a person's age for certain tax calculations is not based on his or her last birthday, but rather, the birthday to which that person is closest. So, if I subtract the date of birth, August 9, 1946 ("Date X"), from the target date, January 23, 2009 ("DATE Y"), the result is 62 years, five months, and 14 days. Because the person is closer to her 62nd birthday on January 23, 2009, the result I am looking for is 62. When I use the formula "=YEAR(DATE Y)-YEAR(DATE X)", it gives me the result 63. (I.e., it rounds up.) I have also tried the MROUND function using a 1 multiple, and it too returns 63. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
See if below formula is what you are looking for:

A1: 8-9-1946
B1: 1-23-2009

Code:
=ROUND(((YEAR(B1)-YEAR(A1)-1)+((DATE(YEAR(A1),12,31)-A1)+(B1-DATE(YEAR(B1),1,1)))/365),0)

The approach I used is to find the year difference and days difference separately and then return the result in decimal format.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back