Rounding up/down to Nearest Quarter Hour

Tacnola1

Please see attached. I am trying to calculate to the nearest quarter hour/ either up or down.

I need to add the time from Cells E and F then have total time in Cell H. With this total, I need it to be rounded up or down to the nearest quarter hour (.15, .30, .45, .00)

Cell I would be used if the rounding can't be done in the same cell as H.

I also need the TOTAL Hours at the bottom to show the total hours to be shown as .25, .50, .75, .00 If this makes sense.

Thank you,
Teresa

Attachments

• Annotation 2023-03-04 022251.jpg
    Annotation 2023-03-04 022251.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 41

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Rounding Time to the Nearest Quarter Hour
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Since you want the answer in hours and decimal of hours try this:
Note: The column is currently formatted as time ie hh:mm you will need to format it as Number or General.
Excel Formula:
=MROUND(IF(F16="",0,IF(F16>E16,F16-E16,$N$2-E16+F16))*24,0.25)

Upvote 0
Solution
I let this question sit on this site for roughly 24 hours before I posted to the other site, Excelforum.com. Due to the comical response of "Is this homework" I thought the algorithm was messed up and this post would fall into the realm of 'it has been answered. That is when I went to the other site for assistance.

Upvote 0
That is when I went to the other site for assistance.
No problem posting there, it's just that we want to know about it & have a link to it. If you have read the link at the end of the rule you were directed to, you will know why.
You will have also seen that the other forum has a very similar rule regarding this issue. As far as I recollect it is the same for all the Excel forums that I visit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back