Row / Cell Count

kurtmaz

I often times find myself highlighting a series of rows to see how many times a certain value appears. For example, let's say I have a spreadsheet of my contacts. I have sorted on a City column. I want to be able to just highlight the cells that contain 'Minneapolis' and see a count somewhere. As it stands now, I have to look at the row numbers that are highlighted and do some simple math or try to plug in a function in some other cell. Is there a simple way to see a count?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.

shajueasow

Welcome to the board.
Have you tried the COUNTIF function?
Like:

Countif(range,criteria)

Richard Schollar

MrExcel MVP
Hi Kurtmaz

Welcome to the Board!

Your status bar (which should be at the bottom of your screen above the Windows Task Bar) has the facility to summarise selected ranges based on seetings you choose (default is to Sum). This however can be changed by right-clicking on it and selecting eg Count from the dialog list that comes up. In an autofiltered list, this will only count the selected and visible cells, providing a handy way of checking how many results you have.

Best regards

Richard

kurtmaz

Thanks Richard Schollar

That is exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate the help.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lidovi