Row Function in cell reference

Willmonbo

Board Regular
I am trying to do something that I think should be fairly easy and perhaps I have even done in the past but can't figure out now what i'm missing.

I just want to reference the cell in column D of the same row that I am working in, how do I do that?

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I am trying this formula now in a named range and am getting a #value error any thoughts on why?

Upvote 0
both of these work
Excel Workbook
DE
Sheet1
Excel 2010
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E5=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),4))
E8=INDIRECT("D"&ROW())

Upvote 0
are you saying that both these formulas should work in a named rang as well, because I have tried them both and am getting the #value error on both, any thought as to why?

Upvote 0
I am trying to do something that I think should be fairly easy and perhaps I have even done in the past but can't figure out now what i'm missing.

I just want to reference the cell in column D of the same row that I am working in, how do I do that?
Try this...

=INDEX(D:D,ROW())

Upvote 0
are you saying that both these formulas should work in a named rang as well, because I have tried them both and am getting the #value error on both, any thought as to why?
It depends on how you're defining the range.

Show us the formula you're using.

Upvote 0

I'm a tad puzzled

can you explain what you mean by having them in a named range?

Upvote 0
i was just looking for a way to ease data input, since the data that I needed to input was always going to be a calculation based on the values in column D of the row that I am currently in, I was going to create a "Defined Name" with a formula (which is what I needed help with) to look back to column D.

the index method does work, however the other two do not, I hope I have explained it better this time around, feel free to ask for more clarification if needed.

thanks everybody for your respective input.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richa mishra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back