row repeating on top

martinee

My problem is that I have a one row that serves as a "main heading" for the spreadsheet. It is easy to repeat that row on the top of the page, but then I also have "sub headings" that change as you move down the spreadsheet.

For Example: The fist "sub heading" is "states". I want this row to repeat at the top of each page until the second "sub heading", "cities", then I want the row repeating to switch to "cities".

Can this be done? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I'm not sure I understand your post. This is my interpretation:

You have a workbook with many worksheets in it. On of the worksheets has the word STATES in cell A2 and then many sheets following it are blank in cell A2. Then you have a sheet that has the word CITIES in it in cell A2 and then a bunch of sheets following it that have cell A2 that is blank. You want to have the sheets between the sheet that has STATES in A2 and CITIES in A2 to be filled with STATES. You want the sheets after the sheet with CITIES to have CITIES put into cell A2 on each sheet until you get to the next worksheet that has something in cell A2.

Is this correct?

Upvote 0
Not quite, but thanks for replying. There is only one sheet. In A2 there it says "states" then in rows 3-161 column A lists a bunch of states (I know this sounds ridiculous since there are only fifty states, but trust me) then in A162 it says "Cities" then in row 163-.... column A lists a bunch of cities.

What I need is for row 2 (the row that has "states" in A2) to be repeated at the top of each page until we get to row 162 (where A2 says "cities") then I want row 162 to repeat at the top of each page until we get to the next sub-heading.

The row doesn't have to appear "frozen" at the top of the screen, but I want it to print on the top of the page when I print it. Right now it is set up with an extra row at the top of the page so the correct subheading is printed, but then when new rows are inserted, the row that should be at the top of the page is gradually pushed to the middle of the page.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Why not just move the rows with cities in them to another worksheet, you can then use PAGE SETUP to have the sub heading as the row to be repeated at the top.

Upvote 0
I had thought of that, but the powers that be dictate that all the data be in one sheet. go figure...

Upvote 0
Hi, All!
I've found this thread by the Search. Hope someone will help me out.
My problem is that I have a one row that serves as a "main heading" for the spreadsheet. It is easy to repeat that row on the top of the page,
That's what I'm interested in. I've got a list of people with their titles, addresses, phone #s, fax #s, etc. The list is 1500 rows long. The very first row contains the column titles (e.g. First Name, Last Name, etc). Is there any way to have this row stay on top when I scroll the page down? In other words, when I'm looking at the row 560 I can't see the first row with the column titles, but I would like to :) I know how to print with the repeating row, but I don't need to print the sheet off.

Thanks for your attention to my question.

Upvote 0
vadikan

select row 2. goto Windows---freeze pains. that should do it

n

Upvote 0
Thanks, neilp! I knew it was an RTFM question, but I just couldn't find it the manual. Appreciate your reply.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back