RTD not updating

eleal

In my Excel 2007 I have downloaded an Add-in (Webiress data) which allows me to receive RTD of a particular security which I then use to plot a chart. In a day there are around 15,000 changes in prices of that particular security.
The problem is that the RTD misses many prices when the market is fast and also it frequently (around 20 times per day) stops updating and then I have to clear the cell where the RTD is updated and it returns to normal, updating the prices for few minutes and then stop again.
A friend of mine told me that I have to change one Registry in Excel to tell Excel to check for a RTD every 2 miliseconds. I found this suggestion a bit strange and I have no idea how to do it.
Has anyone ever come across a RTD issue like this?
I contacted the server provided (webiress) and they said there is no problem with the updating of RTD (real time data) and the problem should be on my side. Any help?
Thanks

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I think this is what you want found here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140060(office.10).aspx#odc_xlrtdfaq_whatarelimits

How Do I Configure the RTD Throttle Interval In Excel?
This can only be modified via the Excel object model or the registry. There is no user interface for configuring the RTD throttle interval in Excel.
  • If the RTD throttle interval is set to -1, this is considered manual mode, and Excel only checks for updates when <CODE class=ce>Excel.Application.RTD.RefreshData</CODE> is called.
  • If the RTD throttle interval is set to zero, Excel checks for updates every chance it gets.
  • If the RTD throttle interval is set to something greater than zero, Excel waits at least that number of milliseconds between checks for updates.
Caution If updates come in so frequently that Excel is continuously updating values and doing calculations, Excel might end up in a state where it never gives the user a chance to do anything, effectively getting in a hung state. If this happens, set the Excel throttle interval higher.​
To set the throttle interval higher through the Excel object model:
  1. In Excel, go to the Visual Basic Editor (by pressing ALT+F11 or clicking Visual Basic Editor from the Macro menu (Tools menu)).
  2. In the Immediate window (press CTRL+G or click Immediate Window on the View menu), type this code:
    <CODE class=ce>Application.RTD.ThrottleInterval = 1000</CODE>
  3. Make sure your cursor is on the line that you just typed, and then press ENTER.
  4. To verify that it is set correctly, type this line of if code in the Immediate window:
    <CODE class=ce>? Application.RTD.ThrottleInterval</CODE>
  5. If you put your cursor at the end of this line and press ENTER, it should display <CODE class=ce>1000</CODE>. Then you know that your throttle interval is set correctly.
To set the throttle interval higher through the registry, set the following registry key. It is a DWORD and is in milliseconds:

Upvote 0
Thanks shemayIsroel for your help.
I did the changes to 1000 miliseconds and it is apparently working fine. I will test tomorrow for the whole RTD session and I will let you know if it works.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks shemayIsroel for your help.
I did the changes to 1000 miliseconds and it is apparently working fine. I will test tomorrow for the whole RTD session and I will let you know if it works.
Thanks

No probs eleal, your welcome.

Upvote 0
I tested today from the beginning of trade and the same problems happened again. After 10 or 20 minutes, it stopped updating. I then cleared the Excel cell where RTD is downloaded, reload RTD webiress and it re-started updating again. Then after some minutes, it stopped updating. It also missed several prices when it was updating.
It must be some configuration on my Excel, because after RTd stops updating and I clear my Excel cell, and reload RTD, it updates again.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Ok as per the above...

"Caution If updates come in so frequently that Excel is continuously updating values and doing calculations, Excel might end up in a state where it never gives the user a chance to do anything, effectively getting in a hung state. If this happens, set the Excel throttle interval higher."

I think this may be the case for you...

Upvote 0
I will set the throttle interval higher (5000 miliseconds) but the interesting point is that even after the initial hectic market at the open, when the market has already settled down and new prices only occur every 30 or 40 seconds, RTD still freezes up and stops updating.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Same problems even with a much higher throttle interval (5000 milliseconds).
After few minutes of correct updating, RTD freezes up. After clearing up and resetting RTD, it restarts updating again.
So, it appears the solution is not a higher throttle interval.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Did you ever fix this problem eleal? I am having much the same issue with an RTD server I built myself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back