RTF to EXCEL

user9000

Does anyone know how to convert a Microsoft Word .RTF file into a Microsoft Excel file? I have tried everything I know and I have no success other than getting everything crammed into column A in excel. Thank you.

Maybe you could save the RTF file as an HTML document in Word and then load that into Excel. Assuming it's got tables, Word will generate HTML tables for it which Excel can then handle.

Meanwhile, send me a dummy version of the file that just a few lines long and I'll work on a programming solution.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Dan-

Ctrl-A and a paste or a paste/special does not work. This file is over 60 megs in size. I have 1 gig of memory but it simply doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Wow, what an interesting document. Each "table cell" is actually a text box positioned on the page based on what appears to be it's twips location (there are 1440 twips per inch). This makes cutting and pasting extremely difficult if not impossible. I tried converting it into a table with no success. I also tried exporting it to a text file and though it's in order, it loses it's linear layout.

Someone at Crystal was very clever as this method of transmitting a database makes it extremely difficult to mine for information.

I'll continue working on the problem after my lunch is over...

Upvote 0
Mark-

Yes exactly. That's the problem. They know it's hard to mine for data and with such a large sum of money involved, you can understand their reticence to provide anything but the most difficult format to me hack on. Thanks for your help.
Brian

Upvote 0
Mark-

Yes exactly. That's the problem. They know it's hard to mine for data and with such a large sum of money involved, you can understand their reticence to provide anything but the most difficult format to me hack on. Thanks for your help.
Brian

Upvote 0
Mark,
Someone at Crystal was very clever as this method of transmitting a database makes it extremely difficult to mine for information.

Seagate has a RTF-fileformat that is based on Crystal Reports Encapsulated Page Format (EPF).

The developer of the report has propably used this fileformat which create this kind of problem...

user9000,
Instead ot trying to solve "Ghorton´s knote" can You go back to the source and ask for a workable fileformat?

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
<Instead ot trying to solve "Ghorton´s knote" can You go back to the source and ask for a workable fileformat?>

Dennis, they refuse to send a workable format because they know I will then be able to utilize the data and manipulate it.
Brian

Upvote 0
user9000,

I can only regret Your situation...

I hope that Mark is able to find any solution to Your problem. Personally I´m running out of ideas.

Good luck and good night (local time 01:05)
Dennis

Upvote 0
Thanks Dennis. I'm out of ideas also, but appreciate everyone's assistance. It seems improbable to me that nobody in the world has ever had this same conversion issue, but it's a big world so...

SMILES
Brian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back