RTF to EXCEL

user9000

Does anyone know how to convert a Microsoft Word .RTF file into a Microsoft Excel file? I have tried everything I know and I have no success other than getting everything crammed into column A in excel. Thank you.

Actually, writing a program to extract the data isn't that difficult; however, it is time consuming and it's beyond what I'm willing to do for free on a forum. I suggest that you get one of the programmers in your organization to do it for you or farm it out to someone in your city (thereby contributing to your local economy).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Anyone has a way to solve this problem. RTF to EXCEL..

It is year 2007 now. I am also out of ideas. Who can do it??

This was from YEAR 2002
Wow, what an interesting document. Each "table cell" is actually a text box positioned on the page based on what appears to be it's twips location (there are 1440 twips per inch). This makes cutting and pasting extremely difficult if not impossible. I tried converting it into a table with no success. I also tried exporting it to a text file and though it's in order, it loses it's linear layout.

Someone at Crystal was very clever as this method of transmitting a database makes it extremely difficult to mine for information.

I'll continue working on the problem after my lunch is over...

Upvote 0
I had some success printing it as a .pdf and then copy and pasting it into excel

What in the world is up with all these old threads being revived for no good reason? This is the 2nd time it's happened in the past 12 hours.

Upvote 0
What in the world is up with all these old threads being revived for no good reason? This is the 2nd time it's happened in the past 12 hours.

I will explain why i registered to the forum and posted on an old thread.

I had a problem which i Google'd, Google led me here, I couldnt see that a particularly good solution had been found.

After a bit of fiddling around i found manipulating a pdf with Acrobat Pro seemed to get something worth copying and pasting into excel.

I thought i would post in case someone else in the future did the same as me, and their google search led them here, maybe just maybe i might have helped someone in the future, maybe not of course but in the spirit of a "help people out forum" i didnt think anybody would mind me adding a response?!

Apologies for going off topic.

Upvote 0
I will explain why i registered to the forum and posted on an old thread.

I had a problem which i Google'd, Google led me here, I couldnt see that a particularly good solution had been found.

After a bit of fiddling around i found manipulating a pdf with Acrobat Pro seemed to get something worth copying and pasting into excel.

I thought i would post in case someone else in the future did the same as me, and their google search led them here, maybe just maybe i might have helped someone in the future, maybe not of course but in the spirit of a "help people out forum" i didnt think anybody would mind me adding a response?!

Apologies for going off topic.
It is 2014 now. This thread is still the first result Google shows. For those who are led here by Google in the future, fortunately there is a good tool now - "Convert XLS" by Softinterface (http://www.softinterface.com/Convert-XLS/Convert-XLS.htm). I only need it for a one-time job, and the trial version has worked perfectly. I have RTF file ~40MB, with a table >30k rows; it takes "Convert XLS" 30-40 minutes to convert the RTF to a ~4 MB XLS.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Softinterface whatsoever.

Upvote 0
how about it is 2013 and I can't find an answer for this either. Does anyone know what to do?
I got it!!

First print your document to a .pdf file using either free pdf printer or Bullzip pdf printer (for Windows 7) then open the file and copy and paste to Excel. I found that the paste was in the first column and then I went to Data, Text to Columns. If I pasted a small section first, then converted the text, the next section I pasted automatically went into columns. I then numbered my rows (inserting a column to the left and numbering), sorted my data by the figure columns (as many as N-G backwards) and dragged each section into alignment. Re-sort by my row number and then deleted my number column. I have done this on several occassions and it works for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back