Rule #7:

There is a topic that gets brought up a few times every year.

Now the reasonably astute person would wonder why this is brought up a few times a year. The logic is sound behind posting a workbook to help explain what needs to be done and the "this is how we have always done it" is just backwards thinking IMO. Just something to consider as forward thinking is always a good thing.

And the comment about how "we've been without attachments since the go and this forum has established itself as possibly the 'best'... and we continue to thrive without attachments..." is slightly arrogant in a word. Improvements can be made no matter how good something is, failure to recognize that is the first step to ones demise. Nothing is invincible...

I disagree completely. Posters can post a screenshot. Other than that posting a worksheet adds little. From what I have seen in forums that allow attachments the description is far from clear/

technology and cost of storage space has moved on since this forum started, there is now no reason not to attach. i know why dont we all stick with say excel 97?, no need for all those fancy extras in 2010, if it was good enough in my day it must be good enough for you.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised by the tone of this conversation. There's really no reason to be accusatory or defensive, and certainly no place to call out individuals by name for their opinion. The forum is what it is...nothing more and nothing less. I have found it to be a great resource. Others may have a different experience.
The owner of the forum has the absolute right to set the rules, and to make any changes as he sees fit. If you don't like the rules, it seems to me that requesting a change (or even complaining a bit :)) is reasonable. But if the request is denied, then the response should also be respected, even if you feel strongly that your idea is the best thing that could happen.
If this request is brought up a few times a year, then it's fair to assume that the forum owner is aware of the request and chooses to keep it without attachments.
If you really don't like that choice, and if it makes your interaction with the forum frustrating or otherwise unsatisfactory, then it seems the logical reaction would be to stop using it.
(End of rant)

who is the owner? its a democracy surely ,there wouldn't be a forum without the users but it's certainly not in my nature that when someone says jump to ask how high. same as any business it's only run with the consent of the workers!
the reason for not having attachments is hazy to say the least,still if thats the way it goes,,.........

Last edited:
who is the owner?

The owner is none other than Mr. Excel, one of the first Microsoft MVP's recognized for outstanding efforts outside of the relatively limited world that Microsoft defined. If you don't know his name, then it's not too hard to find.

its a democracy surely...

Being under the impression that this is a democracy is misguided opinion, as it certainly is not. While the efforts to manage the board are purely voluntary by the moderators and administrators, and the board is a free resource for all of us, it is up to the owner to decide what limitations there should be. The funds to host the board come out of his pocket, not ours. Joe and several others have pointed out why we don't allow uploads here, and believe me, it is something that we listen to and discuss seriously, as we do with all legitimate suggestions (this is certainly one of those), and always come to the same conclusion: it is not to the overall benefit of the board for us to do so. Notwithstanding the fact that it can become a management nightmare, it also takes questions right off of the board, which flies against the face of our purpose as not only a Q&A forum, but one that is searchable as well. Have there been instances where a question probably couldn't have been resolved without members sharing workbooks? Absolutely, but in 10 years here I have run across very few scenarios where those situations outweighed the greater transparency allowed by not doing that.

there wouldn't be a forum without the users but it's certainly not in my nature that when someone says jump to ask how high.

That is absolutely true, and we are blessed to have one of the finest user bases in the world. On the other hand, no one is asking you to jump at all. If you'd care to go jump over to some other forums you'll find that while they might allow you to upload files, they are far more draconian, and you'll get your happy a$$ bounced out for the slighest "infraction", like not using a descriptive post title. We don't do that here, nor will we. Ever.

same as any business it's only run with the consent of the workers!

"[W]orkers" implies payment in kind, and you do not pay to participate here. In addition, this is not California, there is no union here and you have no voting rights, so there should be no favorable expectation to meet demands that the owner is not willing to make, unless they're deemed in the best interest of all the members. Fortunately, we have a pretty cool sponsor, who gives us all a lot more latitude than other sites. Is this a perfect world? No. So will you get what you want? No. But at least you have the right to ask and be respectfully declined. Is it better than other forums that do offer upload capability? I think so, but it's up to you to find out. As we'd say in Texas, don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.

fair points [except the last bit , i'm in the uk and we certainly don't and wouldn't allow an employer to run roughshod over us coz we are enlightened and have legislation to support us (mostly)] oh and
"and you'll get your happy a$$ bounced out for the slighest "infraction", like not using a descriptive post title" quite right too what sort of title is "help!"

{snip}...[except the last bit , i'm in the uk and we certainly don't and wouldn't allow an employer to run roughshod over us coz we are enlightened and have legislation to support us (mostly)]...{snip}

Martin (et. al.), I appreciate your comments, but think you're mistaking this for an employee/employer or subscriber-based relationship, which it is not. Regardless of that, we certainly don't run roughshod over people here, as evidenced by the fact that we're continuing this conversation.

This is one of those cases where while we're listening (and the comments are valuable and discussed behind the scenes), we'll just need to agree to disagree on how the board is managed.

So how about we all move forward, continue to accept this awesome free resourse for what it is, and have a terrific week?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back