Rule #7:

martindwilson

some of this is daft ,this board does not have the ability to upload files and some questions can mean you really need to see the workbook to find out what is happening without playing 20 questions,so it would make sense to refer someone to somewhere you can upload,

There is a topic that gets brought up a few times every year. It is something that we may look at in the future, but it also invites a whole new host of issues (possibilites of viruses, bandwidth issues, cost) that need to be carefully considered and weighed. If it was a choice between having a free board with no attachments, or a paid board with attachments, I think most people who choose the former (I think our numbers speak to that!).

One good thing about not having them is it makes people actually attempt to describe their problems. I have been on other boards where they do offer them, and there is a tendency for people to post the attachment with little or no explanation. Also, many people are unable to download attachments for corporate (or personal) security reasons. My workplace won't allow it. So posting attachments might actually REDUCE the nember of people who will try to help you.

hmm i post on another forum with attachments that is free,
ive got 1500 or so of my own.
but
since you cant do that here you should be free to advise people to go elsewhere,i'm talking formatting problems and stuff you cant show using excel genie.
anyway why is it a "competition" between forums?

One good thing about not having them is it makes people actually attempt to describe their problems.

I agree with this... I've started to create a few topics asking a question and when I come down to explaining it in detail I find the answer out myself!

some of this is daft ,this board does not have the ability to upload files and some questions can mean you really need to see the workbook to find out what is happening without playing 20 questions,so it would make sense to refer someone to somewhere you can upload,

Oh I don't know; we've been without attachments since the go and this forum has established itself as possibly the 'best'... and we continue to thrive without attachments...

It can be quite frustrating trying to extract from an OP what they really want to do, especially if there are language issues or they are a complete novice, and would be useful to be able to see a sample workbook. Generally I don't have much time to spend on here these days so if it's not clear I tend to pass it by. Fortunately there are plenty of others who are prepared/able to spend the time that I am not.

Dom

I think a small embedded table (such as the ones you included) would have made the world of difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back