run a macro every second

earp_

Hi if I want to run a macro every second do I need to do something like that?
Sub Auto_Open()
Application.OnTime Now, "myMacro"
End Sub

Sub myMacro
mdNextTime1 = Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
Application.OnTime mdNextTime1, "myMacro"
End Sub
but this creates a kind of blinking in excel because it copies things from a Sheet to another one.
Is this the best way or do you know something else?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
If you put the code:
Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating=False
at the beginning of your code and then put
Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating=True
at the end of it, it should suppress the blinking.

You piqued my curiosity though. Why do you want to run a macro every second, especially upon opening it? How/when are you stopping it?

You are also going to limit your ability to do anything else in that file while the macro is running. You could have a lot of interference (like I think you are inferring from your other post).

Upvote 0
To be honest I don't know.
I have on Sheet1 some datas which are dynamically updated.
I run my macro so every second I copy some values in Sheet1 into Sheet2
So every second I copy a value into a column of Sheet2
After 5 minutes I make some calculation for the current Column and I continue to copy the value into the next column in Sheet2, so after other 5 minutes I do the same things, like to calculate the max and the min of the current column...and so on.

I don't know if I need to run my macro every second with
mdNextTime1 = Now + TimeValue("00:00:01")
Application.OnTime mdNextTime1, "myMacro"
or if, once I started my macro, it continue to do things until i stop it without the above code.

You are also going to limit your ability to do anything else in that file while the macro is running. You could have a lot of interference (like I think you are inferring from your other post).
Any suggest?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have on Sheet1 some datas which are dynamically updated.
How are they dynamically updated?
Is there other VBA code running or is it linked to something that is constantly changing?

Upvote 0
I was hoping that there was some event in Excel that was triggering the data changes so you would be able to use an Event Procedure instead of running a macro every second. I am not sure, but you may be able to do something like that with the Worksheet_Calculate event (I have written a lot of Event Procedures, but never using Worksheet_Calculate).

In any event, your original question about the flickering screen should be resolved by the first two responses to this thread.

Upvote 0
I received the data through a DDE.
Do you know how to avoid the copy and paste problem?
I can't copy and paste anything with windows but the value in excel

Upvote 0
Since you asked that question in another thread, you should keep it over there. But I am not sure what what you mean exactly (you can only copy the value in Excel)?

I would recommend posting a clarification in your other thread that explains what your macro is doing, what you are trying to do, what your expected result is, and what is actually happening.

The more detailed explanation you give, the better the chances you will receive a helpful response.

Upvote 0
If you put the code:
Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating=False
at the beginning of your code and then put
Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating=True
at the end of it, it should suppress the blinking.

You piqued my curiosity though. Why do you want to run a macro every second, especially upon opening it? How/when are you stopping it?

if I'm using this i don't see anymore values in the column of sheet2 and how can I make some operations afterwards?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamz high

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back