Run a Macro when two cells are equal

a-drift

Hello,

I have been reading a lot about macros on MrExcel, and have found answers to 95% of what I'm trying to achieve. I hope this last 5% is an elegant solution...

I have developed a swing-trading model which downloads a time (in cell AR5 of the tab "DJIA Trade Trigger Calcs") and stock data each minute via a web-query, which then re-calculates trade triggers. In this same tab, I have a formula in cell AR15 that equals what I have already entered for a time (in cell A18 of the tab "E-mailTab") to trigger an automatic e-mail to a stock broker. Here's what I have entered in the "DJIA Trade Trigger Calcs" tab via the View Code selection:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Range("AR5") = Range("AR15") Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Call CDO_Mail_Small_Text
Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
MsgBox "E-mail has been sent. System suspended for one minute..."
Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("00:01:00"))
Call Update_IntraDay_Values
Else
End If

End Sub

This doesn't trigger when AR5 = AR15. Any help would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi a-drift,

I assume AR5 and AR15 are numeric value !!.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If one or both values are calculated, there could be differences in the decimal results, while still displaying to the decimal places selected in formatting.<o:p></o:p>
How many decimal places of accuracy do you want.
ColinKJ

Upvote 0
My apologies. Neglected to mention that both dates are in the format "Real-time: 2:56PM EDT", ... not in an Excel date format.

Upvote 0
<title>Change Event</title><style>@import url(/Office.css);</style><link disabled="" href="/MSOffice.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"> Maybe the event is not firing?

Gary

<title>Change Event</title><style>@import url(/Office.css);</style><link disabled="" href="/MSOffice.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">

Change Event (from help)

"This event doesn't occur when cells change during a recalculation. Use the Calculate event to trap a sheet recalculation. Deleting cells doesn't trigger this event".
<script language="VBScript" src="ShowMe_Code.vbs"></script> <script language="VBSCRIPT"> Sub HelpPopup (sFile, sID) Call InitConstants() On Error Resume Next r=oua.HelpPopup(sFile,sID) If Err<>0 Then Msgbox L_SECURITY_MSG,48,L_TITLE End Sub </script>

Upvote 0
The date text in cell AR5 gets there from the web-query, not a formula, so I assume that's ok.

The date text in cell AR15 is a formula that just copies from cell A18 of the tab "E-mailTab", so I experimented by changing the macro line from...

If Range("AR5") = Range("AR15") Then

to...

If Range("AR5") = Sheets("E-mailTab")Range("A18").Value Then

... but it still doesn't run when these two cells become equal.

Upvote 0
Hi,

You could try moving your code from the

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

and put it in a standard moduel

at the start on the moduel add

Application.Calculate

Then at the end of your web-query, call the new moduel.

ColinKJ

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back