Run Macro from other wb with keystroke

energywatch

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Thank you in advance for your help and sorry if I do not follow protocol (I am still learning).

I am trying to build some macros in my own workbook to be able to improve efficiency to a protected workbook that can not be changed directly. I would like to:

- While in 'macros.xlsm' file
- Use 'Shift+B' to go to workbookM.xlsm
- Run "MacroB"

So far I have used:

.OnKey Key:="^+B", Procedure:="MacroB" (doesnt work)

and

Application.Run "workbookM.xlsm!MacroB" (doesnt work)

So far the keystroke gives me an error "Cannot run the macro "C:___". The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled."

When I run through the VBA using F8 I successfully get to MacroB. But, it breaks when the macro starts to refer to sheets by name. Do I need to activate workbookM? If so how?

Thank you for all of your help,
ew

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Hi EnergyWatch and welcome to the Forum.

Does the keystroke have to be Shift+B or can it be something else, like Ctrl+[your choice]?

You also need to assign the keystroke shortcut to a macro within 'macros.xlsm' like:
Code:
MySub()
[INDENT][/INDENT]Workbooks.Open("workbookM.xlsm")
End Sub
You may need to include a path if it's not in the current directory.

Once you have created that macro, press Alt+F8 from the worksheet in Excel to open the Macros dialogue box and select the macro and then Options. In here you can select a shortcut key, but it seems it must be Ctrl+[your choice] (I thought you could change this previously to a different combination, but I couldn't see how!!)

Then in "workbookM.xlsm" you need a Workbook_Open() event macro in the ThisWorkbook object (last item under Microsoft Excel Objects list in the Project Window of the Visual basic Editor) like:
Code:
Workbook_Open()
[INDENT][/INDENT]Call MacroB
End sub
Once all this is done:
  1. From 'macros.xlsm', when you press Ctrl+[your choice], "workbookM.xlsm" will open.
  2. When "workbookM.xlsm" opens, the Workbook_Open() event macro will automatically fire, and execute MacroB via the Call MacroB statement

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back