Run-time 9 - Subscript out of range

azraeana

Hello!

I have an active sheet that is named the current date. I want to put into it the value of a specific cell from the worksheet named 2013. Specifically it is going to row 6, column 8 of this sheet.

When I look at the VBA Project list, I see my worksheet as Sheet50 (2013). When I click on it the (name) property is Sheet50 but the Name property is 2013. When I look at the worksheets in Excel the tab has been renamed to 2013, so I know the sheet exists. Here are the things I have tried.

Code:
[FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][FONT=Menlo]ActiveSheet[/FONT][FONT=Menlo].[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Range[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]([/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Cells[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]([/FONT][FONT=Menlo]n[/FONT][FONT=Menlo],[/FONT][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][FONT=Menlo]j[/FONT][FONT=Menlo])).[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Value[/FONT][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Menlo][B]=[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Worksheets[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]([/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Str[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]([/FONT][FONT=Menlo]intYear[/FONT][FONT=Menlo])).[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Range[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]([/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Cells[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]([/FONT][FONT=Menlo]n[/FONT][FONT=Menlo],[/FONT][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][FONT=Menlo]([/FONT][COLOR=#009999][FONT=Menlo]4[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Menlo][B]+[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][FONT=Menlo]intMonth[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]))).[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Value[/FONT]

Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Menlo][B]Dim[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][FONT=Menlo]wb[/FONT][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Menlo][B]As[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Workbook[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Menlo][B]Set[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][FONT=Menlo]wb[/FONT][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Menlo][B]=[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Menlo] [/FONT][FONT=Menlo]ThisWorkbook

'where sheetName is the currentDate
Dim ws as Worksheet
set ws = wb.worksheets(sheetName)
Dim intYear as Integer
'where base year is 2013 and i is 0 on this first loop through
intYear = baseYear +i

'where n = 6 and j = 4
ws.Range(Cells(n,j)).Value = Worksheets(Str(intYear)).Range(Cells(n,(4+intMonth))).Value

[/FONT]

I've also tried:

Code:
ActiveSheet.Range(Cells(n,j)).Value = wb.Sheets(Str(intYear)).Range(Cells(n, (4+intmonth))).value

I've actually probably tried even more ways to get this to work but it always gives me the same error. Any help would be appreciated!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Not sure why my code became not spaced but for verification purposes I do have spaces between the DIM of the workbook and the set of the wb.

Upvote 0
Where do you get the error?

PS It should just be Cells(...) not Range(Cells(...)).

Upvote 0
Hi - you should also be using CStr and not Str.

So something like:

Code:
ActiveSheet.Cells(n, j).Value = Worksheets(CStr(intYear)).Cells(n, (4 + intMonth)).Value

Upvote 0
I've tried Cells as well. Here it is with just Cells and it still breaks on this line.

Code:
ActiveSheet.Cells(n, j).Value = wb.Sheets(Str(intYear)).Cells(n, (4 + intMonth)).Value

Upvote 0
Hi - you should also be using CStr and not Str.

So something like:

Code:
ActiveSheet.Cells(n, j).Value = Worksheets(CStr(intYear)).Cells(n, (4 + intMonth)).Value

Thank you! That was it! I just looked up the difference between the two - I didn't realize that there was a CStr. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back