Run-time error '1004': We Can't do that to a merged cell

Sarche

I wrote a VBA code that was working until a few days ago now I am getting an error message that is can't do that to a merged cell when trying to copy and paste. However, there are no merged cells in the section that is being copied and pasted. Below is the code that keeps throwing the error message. I cannot figure out why I keep getting this message. Here is a link to a sample worksheet for the entire code.

20-8010 - FAIRMOUNT CHATTSWORTH STATION - Sample.xlsm

VBA Code:
Select Case Sheets("Job2Date").Range("A1") = ""
Case True
Sheets("Job2Date").Range("O7:R701").Copy Sheets("Job2Date").Range("A7")
Case False
Sheets("Job2Date").Range("O7:R701").Copy Sheets("Job2Date").Range("XFD7").End(xlToLeft).Offset(0, 1)
End Select

How would the code know what the new sheet name was?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
How would the code know what the new sheet name was?

I have this code as part of the main code.
VBA Code:
'''Adjust formulas for new sheet'''
Call Replace

That refers to this code.
VBA Code:
Sub Replace()

Dim Last_Col As Long
    Dim Last_Row As Long

'Sheets("Job2Date").Range ("W12:Z701")
    'Sheets("Week (1)").Select
    'Range("A442").Select
    'Selection.Copy

Last_Col = Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(8, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column 'define the last column for the new range
    Last_Row = Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(Rows.Count, Last_Col - 3).End(xlUp).Row 'define the last row for the new range based on the last column created from Last_Col
    Debug.Print ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added

Sheets("Job2Date").Activate
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Job2Date").Range(Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(8, Last_Col - 3), Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(Last_Row, Last_Col)).Select

ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Job2Date").Range(Cells(11, Last_Col - 3), Cells(Last_Row, Last_Col)).Replace What:="Week", Replacement:="'" + ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added + "'", _
    LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

'Range("A6:A9").Replace What:="'" & "*" & "'", Replacement:="'" + NewSheet + "'", _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False

Range("A3").Select

End Sub

Upvote 0
Try
VBA Code:
    With Sheets("Job2Date")
      .Range(.Cells(11, Last_Col - 4), .Cells(Last_Row, Last_Col)).Replace What:="Week (*)", Replacement:=ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added, _
    End With

Upvote 0
Try
VBA Code:
    With Sheets("Job2Date")
      .Range(.Cells(11, Last_Col - 4), .Cells(Last_Row, Last_Col)).Replace What:="Week (*)", Replacement:=ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added, _
    End With

I got Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error.

Upvote 0
Not sure why you got that, as it worked for me on your workbook. How are you running the macro?
Also noticed a slight error, it should be
VBA Code:
    With Sheets("Job2Date")
      .Range(.Cells(11, Last_Col - 3), .Cells(Last_Row, Last_Col)).Replace What:="Week (*)", Replacement:=ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added, _
    End With

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Code:
    With Sheets("Job2Date")
      .Range(.Cells(11, Last_Col - 3), .Cells(Last_Row, Last_Col)).Replace What:="Week (*)", Replacement:=ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added, _
    End With

Did you replace 'Call Replace' with this code? I am running it by clicking the plus sign and adding a new sheet. it gets stuck at that code and gives me the Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error.

Upvote 0
I was also running it by adding a new sheet & everything worked.
Add the msgbox as shown, what does it say
VBA Code:
Sub Replace()

Dim Last_Col As Long
    Dim Last_Row As Long

'Sheets("Job2Date").Range ("W12:Z701")
    'Sheets("Week (1)").Select
    'Range("A442").Select
    'Selection.Copy

Last_Col = Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(8, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column 'define the last column for the new range
    Last_Row = Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(Rows.Count, Last_Col - 3).End(xlUp).Row 'define the last row for the new range based on the last column created from Last_Col
    Debug.Print ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added

Sheets("Job2Date").Activate
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Job2Date").Range(Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(8, Last_Col - 3), Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(Last_Row, Last_Col)).Select

MsgBox "Last Col " & Last_Col & vbLf & "Last row " & Last_Row & vbLf & "Sheetname " & ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added
    With Sheets("Job2Date")
    End With
    'Range("A6:A9").Replace What:="'" & "*" & "'", Replacement:="'" + NewSheet + "'", _

Range("A3").Select

End Sub

Upvote 0
Dim Last_Col As Long Dim Last_Row As Long 'Sheets("Job2Date").Range ("W12:Z701") 'Sheets("Week (1)").Select 'Range("A442").Select 'Selection.Copy Last_Col = Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(8, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column 'define the last column for the new range Last_Row = Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(Rows.Count, Last_Col - 3).End(xlUp).Row 'define the last row for the new range based on the last column created from Last_Col Debug.Print ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added Sheets("Job2Date").Activate ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Job2Date").Range(Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(8, Last_Col - 3), Sheets("Job2Date").Cells(Last_Row, Last_Col)).Select MsgBox "Last Col " & Last_Col & vbLf & "Last row " & Last_Row & vbLf & "Sheetname " & ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added With Sheets("Job2Date") .Range(.Cells(11, Last_Col - 3), .Cells(Last_Row, Last_Col)).Replace What:="Week (*)", Replacement:=ThisWorkbook.new_sht_added, _ LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False End With 'Range("A6:A9").Replace What:="'" & "*" & "'", Replacement:="'" + NewSheet + "'", _ LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False Range("A3").Select

That was my mistake I was adding it in the main code not under my replace code. It worked this time. THANK YOU! Everything seems to be working now. I really appreciate you helping me.

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back